Chapter 11- rescue... or trap?

Mulai dari awal

“Cass, it's Hope.”

“what's up?”

“I need some info. I realized how stupidly unplanned this was, and I don't know where to start looking for Baen. Where would he go?”

there was silence for a moment. “there's a warehouse on the Texas-Oklahoma border,directly south of Tulsa. We used to hunker down there if something went wrong on a mission and we needed to hide. If he's taking Hope to Helgoth, who we think is still in Oklahoma, he'll head there, rest, and then take her the rest of the way.”

“We really don't have time for 'if's and 'we think's, Cass.”

“I know. I know. But that's the best I can do. Assuming Helgoth is still in Oklahoma and assuming Baen does indeed work for Helgoth, it's a good bet he'll go there.”

“Alright. This bet better pay off, or we're all screwed. Talk to you later, Cass.”

“okay. Bye.”

“what was that about?”My head snapped to the right and I saw Mark, his gorgeous steel dapple gray shifting impatiently under him. “getting some info. Cass knows this guy, so I figured she'd be the best place to get it from.” for a second, I met his eyes. But I looked away when I felt the blush creeping into my face. Ugh, I never blushed. “warehouse on the Texas-Oklahoma border.”I told my companions. “if he's anywhere before he hands her over to Helgoth, it's there. We're in a race for my cousin's life. Let's go.”

for two days, we rode hard, waking up very early and riding well into the night. One night, I was woken up by rustling in the bushes. Raven and Mark were close by on either side of me, so, trying not to let who or whatever it was know that I was awake, I reached and and tapped Mark's arm. I looked over out of the corner of my eye and saw him with his eyes on me. “we're being watched.” I mouthed. He nodded almost imperceptably. We waited, keeping our breathing deep and steady, waiting for whoever it was to make a move.

Finally, footsteps. Booted footsteps, so at least human form. I lowered my eyelids until my eyes were only open a slit and waited. I felt rather than saw the intruder stop by my legs. Big mistake on their part. I scissored their legs out from under them and rolled over,my hand going to their throat and my knee digging into their chest. “who are you? Why are you following us? Who sent you?”I demanded.

“can't...breathe.”he choked out.

I loosened my grip marginally. “who are you?”

“m-my name's--”whatever he was choking out was cut off by Mark cursing as he came over with a flashlight. “Matt?”

I stilled. “Matt?”I repeated, looking at my captive, then at Mark. “your brother?

“let him up, Hope.”Mark said. I let out a disgusted sigh and stood. Matt took gasping breaths as I lifted the pressure from his throat and lungs. “what the hell are you thinkin', Man?”Mark asked his brother, helping him to his feet. “sneaking up on us in the middle of the night? In the middle of a hunt?”

“I got in from the cooperative hunt in Massachusetts, and found out Maya was kidnapped. I just wanted to help, man. She's my friend,too, you know?”

“look, I get it, okay? But... dude, just call next time, alright?”he was about to respond when I cut them off. “Hate to interrupt the family moment, but we are in the middle of a hunt, and, Mark, I get that this is your brother, but he's not coming with us.”

“Hope, can I talk to you for a second?”Mark asked. I nodded and we walked out of hearing range of the others. “look, I know it's unexpected, and maybe inconvenient, but Matt's a good hunter. He's also a great guy and Maya's friend.”