Chapter 13 - The Ager

I'm sorry, you had to see that 😂😂 ^...... Anyways here is chapter 13 :)

Things are not always what they seem...

On the way to the state fair, I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened a few minutes earlier. The girl dug her nails into my face and... and there were no marks left behind. What the hell did she do to me? Was she trying...? trying to steal my soul? That's crazy, or so I thought... We were out in the open, she would have been seen. Whatever she was doing to me, I hope she never does it again.

When we finally arrived at the fair, there was a long line of cars going down the street. By the time we got to the fair, it'll be closing time.

"What now?" Shukni sighed while looking at the line of cars.

"We can always turn around and go look at those newspapers," I suggested.

"Sure.." She sighed while turning on the turn signal and moving into a different lane.

______________________________________________________

When we got to Shukni's house, she invited me in and gave me a bottle of water. While I took little sips of the water she went upstairs to grab the newspapers. When she left the room, I sat down in her living room sofa and started to look around at the stuff she had in her living room. Shukni's home looked a lot better on the inside than the outside. I could tell her, and her father was a middle-class family. Unlike me.

When she finally came back downstairs, she had a big stack of newspapers in her hand. She put the stack on the coffee table and slit the pile in half. She took a stack and gave the other one to me. I flipped through the newspapers and they didn't have any information about the little girl. As a matter of fact, they weren't even outdated papers, the latest newspaper was from yesterday. I needed older newspapers.

"Do you have any older newspapers? These ones are too recent." I pointed out.

"My father keeps them in the basement, come with me." She gestured for me to come with her.

We left the living room and walked towards the basement door. She paused and turned on her cellphone's flashlight. I did the same. She slowly creaked the door open. She shined the flashlight down the dark basement stairs and walked down the first step and took a big gulp. I followed her, shivering in fear. The farther we walked down the stairs, the more I got chills down my spine. The floorboards of the stairs creaked, there was a chill breeze in the air and-.

We heard something being thrown across the room and shattering.

"Stop. Wha-What was that?!" Shukni nervously asked while stopping me.

"May-Maybe something fell off a shelf...." I cowardly suggested.

"I-I don't know you go-go first." She told me while pushing me in front of her.

I took a deep breath and ran down the stairs so fast like a mouse running from a cat. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I shined the flashlight all around the room to see what could have caused the shattering noise. I didn't find anything broken but I did find a chine light. I pulled the chain and the room lit up. I felt a big weight being lifted off me. Shukni sighed in relighted. We both turned off our cellphone flashlights.

I sat on the bottom of the stairs while Shukni looked for the newspapers. I saw her walk over to an old box named 'Coca-Cola bottles'. and then open the box, look in it, and then closed it. She then moved on to another box. After about thirty-ish minutes of her looking through boxes. she picked up a box titled 'Antique newspapers'. I got up and walked towards her, she moved aside so I could look in the box. I unfolded the flaps of the box and dust came shooting out. I waved the dust away while caught and picked up the first newspaper, it was an old sports article. Then I looked at the second newspaper, it was an old comic strip. But the third newspaper draws my attention.

The third newspaper was a missing person report. I took a deep breath and blow the dust off the newspaper. The missing person report was for a girl named Moxie, Moxie Jackson. She was five years old, with black long hair, brown eyes, and very thin. According to the newspaper, it said she was last seen two years ago riding her bike to the park, and the parent never got back to the writers about all this. The picture of the girl looked very familiar. A little too familiar.

Michael, you shouldn't be snooping in things you don't need to know. A mysterious voice whispered from behind me.

I jumped and shoved the newspaper into my jacket pocket and turned around.

The voice was Orthina... How did she know I was at Shukni's house? What did she mean by 'I shouldn't be snooping in things I didn't need to know?' Was she hiding something from me? Whatever all this meant, I was just seconds of finding out.