III.IV

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═CITLALMINACHAPTER FOUR•THE SACRIFICE•≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═
CITLALMINA
CHAPTER FOUR
•THE SACRIFICE•
≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

ATOYAC RIVER, GUERRERO, MEXICO
1946

Water collided with each other as they rushed in the direction it was being pulled towards. Elenara was washing the dirt that stuck to her skin off in the river as the horse she named Chimalli drank from it.

The hot sun quickly evaporated the water from her tan skin and she headed to the stallion.

"We're almost there." She told the horse, brushing her fingers through his pure white mane. It neighed in response and she mounted it, guiding him with his hair gently.

As she held on to Chimalli's mane she felt a pull in the core of her chest. She lightly tugged on his mane to signal him to stop. Her eyes examined the desert terrain carefully.

Everything seemed fine.

But something was calling her. She felt it coming East, but as she looked in that direction, nothing was spotted for miles.

"You feel it too?" Xiuh hissed in response, curling his tail around her wrist. She gazed into his golden eyes and nodded. Elenara guided the horse forward and she felt the pull become stronger and stronger. Elenara unmounted the horse and hesitantly stepped forward.

She noticed something strange at the sight in front of her. Every single cactus, every dent in the dirt was exactly the same. Using her heel, she dug into the dirt, creating a small crater. With a gasp, she saw it mimic the action in front of her.

It was a mirror.

Elenara brought her fingertips at what seemed to be the air, but felt a smooth surface skim her fingers. She mentally debated whether or not to continue forwards, but whatever was on the other side was calling to her, nearly begging her to meet them. The goddess listened and stepped through the cool barrier, her feet feeling fresh air on the other side. Half of her body was through and she noticed Chimalli not moving.

"Chimalli." The horse neighed in response, wary, but complied and trudged towards her.

"Oh. . .Gods."

Tears were flowing down her cheeks like a river. Tall temples filled her vision, standing tall and proud. They reflected like gold as the sun hit the surface. People with bronzed skin walked with smiles on their faces as their long braided hair was pulled with the wind.

Her people, they were alive and safe, hidden in plain sight.

"How did you get in?" A woman demanded in Nahuatl. Elenara turned her head to see she was being threated with spears by a group of men and women. They sported jagaur headpieces along with traditional Aztec armor on their bodies.