Lunch

As it turns out the cheapest place to travel was Texas right now. Nathaniel paid for both of their tickets and Jess bought lunch. They sat down at Wolfgang Puck, which was a little restaurant that gave Jess the feeling of home.

It was odd for her to be back here after all this time and to be in the company of someone who she found pleasant. As much as she loved her home, her memories were not always fond.

They sat down by the bar and each ordered a drink. Jess, not a big drinker herself, ordered a diet coke. Nathaniel ordered a whiskey. He drank it quickly and then ordered another. He had three before Jess told the bartender to not bring anymore.

"I didn't realize you needed so much alcohol to endure my presence." He chuckled lightly, looking at her with a small wisp of a grin.

"You," He said pointing his glass at her, "are not the worst part of my day." He drank from the glass and let his head drop, shaking it slowly.

"Need to talk to someone you'll never see again about it?" He laughed again but didn't smile.

"Please, don't smile at all. I am sure it is horrible to even consider grinning with joy. It would undermine your brooding aesthetic that you must have worked so hard at." Jess said with a roll of her eyes. At that he gave a little smile but then returned to his straight face.

"My problems aren't that important. Sometimes I just wish life were easier."

"I know what you mean entirely. When did everything get so complicated?"

"I don't know. I can't even remember a time when things were simple."

He gave a dejected shake of his head and Jess grabbed his hand. His eyes met mine and she gave his fingers a little squeeze.

"You can talk to me, you know. Sometimes telling strangers about your problems makes them easier to fix." He let go of her hand and leaned his head on his hand.

"My dad owns some big hotel chains around the country and he wants me to take over the business. I really don't want to. I wasn't going to sit around and wait for him to force it on me so I ran. Now, as much as I want to see my family again, any sign of me at home would be enough for him to force everything on me. I never asked for this." Nathaniel shook his head. "I didn't ask for the life, the family, the name."

The name? She thought about his name. It had been vaguely familiar. Then it clicked. Jess' eyes widened with the impact of the realization.

"Nathanial Brown? As in Brown industries?"

"Yep. Brown industries, Brown Inn, Brown restaurant. Basically anything you can think of with Brown in front of it."

"I didn't realize-   wow, I'm sorry. I mean, I get running from family but your problem is so much bigger than that. I can't even imagine-"

Jess couldn't finish that. The pressure on the boy in front of he was more than just leaving the family business. She knew all about running from her problems and promoted it, but she wasn't entirely sure how you could run from the Brown name.

"As much as I hate to say it, you were right. I feel a little better."

"I should have told you before but I'm always right." He gave a light laugh that time. Maybe he was starting to warm up to her.

"Any problems you want to talk about with someone you'll never see again? You said you get running from your family. Wanna talk about it?"

Jess wasn't sure she did, but he was so patient. His eyes stared directly into hers. The light green was accented by yellow, almost like golden specks in his eyes.

Would you stop thinking about him that way? He is no one and you are no one. You can't let in anyone or you will get hurt. They will lie, and cheat, and hold you back, and abuse, and fight you always. You can't tell him about yourself. You are a failure and a disgrace. You should get as far away from here as possible. RUN!

"I don't know. I think sometimes things are just difficult. Family especially."

"I think," He began, pretending to stroke a beard. Jess gave a small snort of laughter. Maybe he could be funny.

"that sharing would make it easier. Now I'm not going to pressure you but just so you know," He put on a playful grin and brought his voice up, "telling strangers about your problems can make them easier to fix." He let a grin settle on his face as she tsk-tsked at him playfully.

"Throwing my own words back at me? Low blow good sir." He put his hands up in defense.

"All in the line of duty! So, what's going on?"

"It's just home. I haven't been back to Chicago since I left. I didn't leave on fantastic terms. My parents basically told me that my dream wasn't worth chasing and I should just go to college and get married and be a 'model daughter'. I just said screw you and got on a plane. I have been random flying ever since."

Jess looked up from the glass of Diet Coke that became very interesting while she talked. She could see the sadness in Nathanials eyes for her sake. It was painful to remember leaving. It was even harder to talk about.

Jess was never the perfect daughter, even though she tried so hard to be. She was never the favorite or the one who was important, but she was a good writer. She would write short stories and sell them, publish them, and enter them in contests. Jess worked forever on a book, like a full book, and was so proud when she finished it. Her parents wanted her to give up writing and study "something important".

She said no and sold her book. Readers ate it up and she made a name for herself. When it came time to graduate, she chose not to go to college and to just focus on writing. Her parents didn't take it well and told her that if she didn't go to college, she would be kicked out. So she packed her things and left.

"Being in Chicago and being here, where it all started, is just not a great place full of fantastic memories."

"Well, maybe today will change that."

Jess looked into the eyes of this stranger who had, surprisingly, become part of her life. There was hope in his eyes and there was a smile on her face. Perhaps Nathaniel is right, that memories and the way a place feels can change.