Chapter 19

A/N: Italic in this chapter means flashback
•••

The curtain goes down, and the whole theatre jumps up in cheers and applause. The main dancers and actors take their bows, and then the secondary characters waltz on stage to take their bow. Zayn watches from the front row as his best friend gets on the stage and bows along with the crew and actors. Louis says a few words about how much fun it was to direct the play, and Zayn smiles with so much proudness for the lad. He sees Liam waiting by the side of the stage with a bouquet of flowers in his hand, and Zayn lets out a sigh before he was looking at the empty seat next to him.

••"Why didn't you tell me? Do you not trust me or something?" Zayn said narrowing his eyes at Harry. He wasn't upset, he was just hurt.

"Zayn-"

"No, shut up and leave me alone Harry. Just...just let me get a taxi and don't talk to me."

"But babe-"

"Harry you hurt me alright. I believed you, and you were just lying to me the whole time. You know how much this superhero shit is to me. I drew fucking comics for you, and...and I said all those things and you just...fuck." Zayn says wiping his damp cheeks, before he's stalking off down the street and using his phone to call a ride.••

Despite what had happened four days ago Zayn is here, but only because he promised Louis he'd come. He'd rather not see Harry though, because the relationship they had was...Zayn doesn't even know. All he knows is that they're not doing it anymore, and it sucks, but it's his decision. Getting up he makes his way to the edge of the stage, where Liam and now Niall were waiting. "Hey guys."

"Hey Zayn!...Where's your missing link?" Niall asked as he searches for Harry. "I haven't seen him all day. I hope he isn't stressing about the game tomorrow."

"I'm sure he has other things on his mind." Zayn says with slight annoyance in his voice. Before either if the two could say anything, Louis was bounding off the stage and attacking Liam into a full body hug.

"Eww gross." Niall says scrunching his nose up.

"Shut it Horan. You're just mad you're not getting any." Louis says smirking when he was done kissing Liam. Liam rolled his eyes and detached his boyfriend from him slowly. He still wrapped an arm around his waist though.

"It was great love. You wanna head out to eat now, or want to socialize a bit?" Liam asks as he hands Louis the flowers.

Louis sends Zayn a look, and then looks at Liam. "In a bit we can leave. I just need to have a word with my best mate." Before Liam could even say anything, Louis was handing him the flowers back and pulling Zayn out of the auditorium. They get into the hallway and Louis huffs before he's crossing his arms over his chest. "You're avoiding Harry," Louis offers. "You've been avoiding him and you didn't come to school or the comic shop like we always do!"

"And I will continue avoiding him and this conversation until I've had a good night's sleep," he tells him. "I understand that you are worried, but please just stop. I want to deal with this alone Lou." If anyone noticed that Zayn was different these last two days or so, they didn't say anything. Most likely attributing Zayn's sudden quietness to..well to normal behaviour. "Just...just go back to your boyfriend, and tell Niall and Liam that I'll see them at the game tomorrow. I just need to be alone." Before anything else could be said Zayn was running away.

He climbed in his ne car that his dad insisted on him getting, as fast as he could and pulled out of the school parking lot before anyone else can catch up to him. He didn't want to talk to anyone, not even Louis.

He quickly made his way home, and parked his Bentley before nearly running to his room. He really just wanted to be back in his bed, hugging his pillow that still smelled like Harry, and cry some more. Yet, the universe seemed to against him.

There, sitting at his computer, was the last person Zayn wanted to see.

Harry Styles.

He honestly was just wanting nothing more than to hate Harry, Zayn could not help but take in the beauty that was his somewhat ex boyfriend. Judging by the state Harry's normally wavy and beautiful curls are, it was clear that the lad hadn't bothered to groom himself since Zayn last saw him. But, even so Harry was devastatingly handsome with his green eyes, brown hair, and broad shoulders.

And now with him just sitting there as if nothing had changed. Zayn wanted nothing more than to throw himself into Harry's lap and just feel those strong arms around him. Zayn clung onto the door frame, half in support due to a sudden weakness in his legs and half as a physical restraint from actually jumping into Harry's inviting lap. However, the pain was still too fresh, the memories still swirling around inside his head.

"Zayn." Green eyes zeroed in on him and Zayn had to look away.

"Har-why are you here?" Zayn tried to steady his voice.

"I...I wanted to talk." Harry starts, standing up and reaching forward, wanting to touch Zayn, to feel Zayn, only to abort the movement halfway; hand just hanging there in midair. "I wanted to explain."

"Explain?" Zayn exclaimed incredulously, anger suddenly filling his entire being. "You wanted to explain?"

Harry nodded.

"What is there to explain? How you've literally been lying to me ever since before we were even together? How you lied to my face countless times?! How you made me look like fucking Mary Jane Watson! I am Gwen Stacy you asshole!" Zayn says with frustrated tears streaming down his face. By the time Zayn finished, he was panting and unsteady on his feet; his body rocking from side to side.

Harry reached out to steady Zayn but was shoved back, hard. The shove propelled Zayn backwards and the teenage boy landed on his ass on the floor while Harry barely moved an inch. Instead of getting up, Zayn just stayed there, elbows propped up on his knees and head in his hands as tears began pouring out.

Once more, Harry tried to touch Zayn, but this time, Zayn's wrecked voice stopped any further movement.

"Get out."

The words were soft but due to how quiet the house was, Harry picked them up easily. "Zayn..."

"No. I'm done. No more." Zayn used one hand to gesture towards the door. "I can't stand the sight of you."

It was silent for a few minutes. The only sounds were the ones from outside of the opened window. Zayn can hear footsteps though and they just make the tears fall faster. "...You don't mean that.."

"I wish I did."

"Zayn...please? I just, I didn't tell you and I should have. I was just...I don't even know. I just didn't tell you. It wasn't cause I don't trust you, cause I trust you so so so much Zayn. Please? Just...don't do this."

Zayn takes a shaky breath and it's sad really. How quickly Harry's words seem to ease the insecurities in Zayn's mind. His tears slowly stopping, and his head lifting to look harry in the eyes. "How can I trust you anymore?"

"Cause I love you.

"That's not fair."

"But it's true."

Zayn sniffled, and wiped his face completely dry. He stands, and rubs his hands down on his pants before he's clearing his throat and taking another deep breath. Looking Harry in the eyes, he takes three big steps closer to him. Grabbing the back of Harry's neck, he pulls him down, "And I hate that I love you." he says before connected their lips.

Harry's right hand is cupping Zayn's cheek, his thumb drawing circles over Zayn's skin and Zayn holds onto his curly long hair while deepening the kiss. Harry can feel Zayn's stubble against his face and hell, it feels good. Zayn tastes like the mint he had stolen from that bowl, and like coffee and something else, something good and Harry finds himself wanting more of that taste.

Zayn isn't sure how long they are standing there, just kissing each other, holding onto each other, but eventually Harry is the one to break the kiss. Zayn's eyelids flutter open and then he suddenly realizes that they are actually on the bed together.

"I love you."

"I love you too."