Chapter 8: Volleyball

Start from the beginning

After a minute, Kageyama asked, "So, can you cook?"

"What?"

"Can you cook? You said you'd make me dinner. So will this be a treat for me, or a punishment?"

Hinata laughed. "Because you beat me yesterday, I'm going to dodge that question and leave you wondering."

"You're a pretty sore loser, you know."

As a response, Hinata stuck his tongue out at Kageyama and bounded away from him, back to the net. Kageyama got up to follow him, grinning like a school boy. Hell, he felt like a school boy. When was the last time someone stuck their tongue out at him?

Kageyama caught up with Hinata after a few seconds. Hinata was laughing again and Kags was mesmerized, feeling the need to smile himself. He had a momentary panic when he realized he might be falling for the energetic sunshine boy.

"Your laughter is infectious, Hinata."

"It is, huh?" he answered with a bit of sass.

"Yes. And your smile is beautiful." Hinata briefly averted his eyes from Kageyama's face and lowered his head in the hopes of hiding his blush. Kageyama continued, "And very kissable."

By the time Hinata's eyes returned to Kageyama's face, he had closed the short distance between them and kissed him, briefly, but deeply. It was enough to make Hinata's heart pound in his chest.

Hinata replied "You look pretty good when you smile too. And I'm a sucker for blue eyes," he said teasingly.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"What else are you a sucker for? That information might come in handy in the future."

"Let's see. A handsome face..."

"I've got that," Kags teased.

Hinata tsked him and continued, "is not important to me.". he finished while enjoying Kageyama's affronted glare.

Hinata continued chuckling, "I like someone who is kind."

"Check."

"Someone who is a good kisser," he continued mischievously.

"We've already established that." said Kageyama, a little too proudly.

"And the most important quality is... modesty," Hinata finished triumphantly.

Kageyama laughed deeply. "Oi, you got me."

They played for another hour or so but soon it was time for Hinata to start back home. They gathered up their things and began to walk, quietly at first. They were both pretty tired. After a few minutes, Kageyama said thoughtfully "Hinata, can I ask you, you're really good. Why didn't you go back to volleyball? I know you said money was an issue, but I'm shocked you couldn't you get some kind of scholarship."

Hinata looked down at the sidewalk as he debated what to say. He figured he had come this far, had revealed enough about himself to this guy, that he might as well lay it all out there. He was leaving in two days anyway. Did it really matter one way or another?

Hinata hesitated while trying to find the words. "It's not just me. It's my sister. Natsu. She's why I have to be home early tonight."

Kageyama was a bit confused, "Your sister is coming to visit you?"

Hinata smiled sadly, "No, she lives with me. She's twelve. I take care of her. Well, we take care of each other."

All at once, Kageyama's brain processed the information and he suddenly understood everything he had been wondering about the redhead. He looked at Hinata, with sadness in his eyes, but Hinata was looking back with a bit of anger.