[31] this is halloween

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter thirty-one!
THIS IS HALLOWEEN
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( illuminated, pt

( illuminated, pt. i )

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

SURPRISINGLY, THIS IS not the first time Vera has been detained in the Sheriff's office for questioning. The first time she'd been brought in was in 2005 when the catastrophic fire had burned down the Hale house— the police had wanted to know if she or Mai knew anything about possible survivors. Then things had gotten quieter until Scott had been bitten at the beginning of the year. That had been the catalyst of the rest of the town going to shit, so she's gotten very good at lying to law enforcement.

Agent McCall is still in town for whatever reason. He's the one questioning them, and from the half-bored, mostly exasperated expression on his face, he can tell they're bullshitting everything they're saying, but it's not like they can tell him that Kira had somehow absorbed enough energy to black out the entire city.

The station has a generator, so it's not pitch-black inside, but the lights are dim and flicker every so often as if they're struggling to stay lit. Stilinski's office is smothered in shadows. If Vera hadn't been used to this by now, she may have considered it foreboding, but all the darkness does is make her want to go to sleep.

Stiles, Scott, and Kira are squeezed together on the sofa against the glass separating the office from the rest of the building. Vera and Lydia sit in chairs to the left of Stilinski's desk. The sheriff sits behind it with his hand over his mouth, trying not to laugh at the agent's failed attempts at getting them to tell the truth.

"So, when did you get there?" Agent McCall questions as he leans against the sheriff's desk and crosses his lanky legs.

"At the same time," Stiles replies.

He doesn't look amused by the smartass response. "Same time as who?"

"At the same time as me," Scott says.

"By coincidence?"

Stiles furrows his brows in mock confusion, clearly having way too much fun with this. "What do you mean 'coincidence'?"

Vera removes the towel she has pressed to her injured nose and asks, "Is it a coincidence that a couple of friends met up at a place they knew a classmate was going to be murdered in? If you have to ask us that, Agent McCall, you may be unfit for your job."

Speaking does make her face hurt like hell, but she couldn't miss an opportunity to jab at the insufferable man before her.

"I'd advise you to keep that towel to your nose and your mouth shut, Miss Pérez, and tilt your head forward." Scott's father does not look impressed in the slightest. His voice isn't cold, but it lacks all traces of humor and carries sharp edges that cut like a blade.