Past and Future

He got home from public school that afternoon feeling terrible. He had gotten in another fight- and this one he didn't win. It wasn't often he'd lose to someone, but this particular opponent happened to be much larger than him.

He was late getting home, but it wasn't like anyone would care. His uncle was busy watching a football game, not a care in the world about the water boiling away on the stove.

Levi took care of that little problem right away, pouring some noodles into the water and setting a timer before starting to wash the dishes that had piled up.

He was about to speak up and ask his uncle if he'd gotten a job yet, but he was surprised to find that Kenny was already standing in front of him, dressed in a slouchy suit coat. He looked like a sleazy used car salesman.

Kenny lifted his hat to his head with one hand and landed the other on Levi's head. Levi scoffed at his touch, but his uncle didn't remove his hand.

"See ya, kid." He said. That was his normal goodbye, but something seemed off with him. He started to walk away.

"Hey! Aren't you going to eat something, old man?" Levi called after him, but he was met with nothing in response but the front door opening and closing.

Silence.

The silence lasted for three days before Levi finally managed to call Kenny's phone number.

No response. His voicemail wasn't even set up.

It's not like he expected anything, anyway.

With Kenny gone, the house was a lot cleaner. The years went by and Levi lived all alone in that house. Sometimes the monthly bills would be paid, sometimes they wouldn't be.

He kept getting in fights, even dabbling in some gang activity, but he always managed to be at the top of his class, grade-wise. It was a bit of a miracle. Each afternoon he would clean the house, each evening he would do his school work, and each night he'd either go out for some odd job or just stare at the sky. He couldn't sleep either way, so he might as well put use to his time.

It wasn't long before Levi started to dream about being up in the clouds. It was freeing.

One day his high school was holding a fair for colleges and careers. He went because he had nothing better to do.

He found himself speaking to a representative of one of the best aviation schools in America.

Not long after, He was offered a scholarship he couldn't refuse. With that and the bit of money he had, he was able to go to flight school. He studied hard and made sure he was doing his best, and it was not in vain.

After graduating, he quickly climbed the ranks, becoming one of the youngest ever captains at O'Hare airport, one of the largest airports in the country. He gained popularity this way with the masses, having himself known in the world of aviation and even a bit in regular news. Things were going well, but he was missing one thing.

A companion.

He didn't have time to go looking for one before he and his aircraft went missing.

~

"Weird to suddenly remember an entire lifetime worth of memories, right?" (Y/N) said in front of the man, who was still crouched on the ground. He was a bit overwhelmed, and had brought his hands to the sides of his head, alarming the small crowd that had gathered around them.

"Let's get out of here, okay?" She said with a gentle voice. It calmed him, and she took his hand, leading them back to her apartment.

She too had a few memories restored, but not nearly as much as last time. All she remembers now is a few news stories about Captain Levi Ackerman, the pilot.