Nightmares - Bucky Barnes.

Gender: gender neutral (they/them)

You and Bucky had been dating for three months at this point and you'd got used to his nightmares. You were okay with them after so long well you can't really judge considering you also get nightmares from the war.

This night was worse for Bucky than it had been for a while. It was 2008 and he was still working for Hydra when he was sent to kill this family because the parents were in debt.

Bucky never thought some little kid could bring back part of his conscious until then. When he had murdered the adults, Bucky saw a small kid in the corner. The child had wide eyes, clearly scared of him and they looked no older than five.

He didnt want to kill the child but the part of him Hydra was controlling forced him to shot even though he wanted to believe the kid survived he was doubtful.

You had woken up late into the night to Bucky thrashing around in his nightmare and had woke him up. When he was fully conscious, you two go to the kitchen for a drink.

Whilst having your tea, you finally ask "in the nightmare, you were working for Hydra again, right?". Bucky nods, still not saying anything until you say "Can you just tell me, it could help talking, please?".

The soldier silently agrees with you before beginning to explain, "it was twenty years ago and I was sent as the Winter Soldier to kill this family. I had murdered the adults and didn't even realise the kid was there".

"I know they saw everything just looking at how scared they were. Somehow it hurt me" Bucky continues, "I shot the kid and the family was never brought up to me again so I assumed the kid never survived".

"Bucky, can I tell you something?" you asked. He smiles towards you charmingly, "Anything you want, doll". Sighing, y/n begins "the kid that you shot, that was me. I was going to tell you but I didn't want you to feel bad, that's why I never mention my family".

"But the kid died" Bucky begins, "there's no way they would've survived that". "Yeah, well I did and I was sent from foster home to foster home until I came here when I was fifteen, shortly before the snap first happened".

With a look of shock at what you'd just said, Bucky frowns and says "I'm sorry, I never knew". Sighing slightly y/n says "You were never supposed to".

Bucky pulls y/n onto his lap, wrapping his arm around you. Smiling tiredly at him "remember what Regina Mills said 'evil isn't born it's made and so is good'. Now lets go to bed, yeah?"