Chapter 80: Reflections

Comenzar desde el principio

"No, it's not like that! I did talk to Zale that day, but he's just showing me some mistakes I've made in the game so far."

"Mistakes?" I repeat in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Me being too focused on combat, wandering around without a true goal in mind, neglecting some of my [Masteries]... I even saw him using [Experienced Magecrafting] a [Plasma Staff] with the same method I've made without exploding or anything. It's not only that. After seeing you defeat that rude player in that [Duel], I felt like I'm not contributing anything at all in our adventures. No, it's not that. I feel like I'm always staying on the sidelines while you do all the heroics. To be honest, I know it's not your fault, but from my time as a bullied kid to the first day in [Isekai], I feel like I've been nothing more than a background character in your life. And I think I can become a hero of my own story in this game."

Kaz... I hadn't known... It's true that I want him to take care of himself once I'm in college. But in reality, I'm the one who has been indecisive about my future. I don't even know if I've helped him become independent from me at all. It doesn't help that he's realized all of this just two weeks before his birthday.

"I-I'm sorry that you feel that way, Kaz. I thought I could be a good brother to you by helping you get out of your shell. Then again, I don't even know why I saved you at the park that day. Guess I'm not doing a good job at it." I just changed my mindset after protecting Kazuki that time, so I'm not getting the "Best Brother" award any time soon.

"Hey, that's not true! Sure, you can be a deadbeat and a party pooper..." I quickly glare at Zac at that comment, but I doubt that'll stop him other than making him shiver. "But you picked him up from his school and you let him accompany our hangouts without any complaints."

"Not only that, you got to try out [Isekai Online] all because of Kazuki, you've helped him out with his homework, and teach him the rights and wrongs both in real life and in-game. In my book, there is no such thing as a perfect role model. If they have flaws, that means it's proof of their struggles to become one."

I'm surprised at what Damon said, yet he has a point there. I'm very overprotective of Kazuki and I doubt I can get past my skeptical and cynical views on the world. But I know that means I'm still ways ahead and learning how to become not only a better person but also a better brother to Kazuki. Speaking of which...

"Hayate, I agreed you didn't do a good job as a brother. But you did protect me from harm, not just in the game." He then walks up to me and takes out a familiar novel, which was somehow in good condition despite some tears, the very same one I bought him in the past. "It doesn't matter if you had a reason behind it. I'm just happy you did it, that's all. Heck, without you butting in, you wouldn't have been able to buy this Seraph book in the first place."

...

He's right. On the surface, I stepped in because those jerks wouldn't stop spreading false rumors about me. But the more I think about it, the more I realize the real reason behind it: I only wanted to protect him, that's all. That reason alone made me who I am and it makes me realize I can't stay cooped up with myself for the rest of my life. Damn, I've just realized all of that just by him being late for being picked up from school. Regardless, I sigh and place my hand onto Kazuki's shoulder.

"I guess I've made the right decision back there. If I want to become a better brother, then I'll try to help you become a better adult. Which means I have a lot of college and job searching soon."

"Yeah, good luck with that. Even though we're seniors now, it doesn't mean we have to rush our last school year. We've still got prom and a school trip to worry about."

"Don't forget our final exams, Osborne. Unless you want to end up missing the summer break for summer school."

Of course, Zac has to scream as if it's the end of the world for him. But then again, just seeing their goofy selves gives me enough motivation to smile again.

"Alright. For now, let's stop by at the usual spot so Kazuki can explain why we have to spend an hour standing here in the first place."

Kazuki starts chuckling as soon as I suggest this, which confirms my suspicions that his strange tardiness along with his reality check might have something to do with the game again.

"Well, I want to start over on [Magecrafting]. But before that, I have to work on something first."

I knew it. Regardless, we decide to continue at the cafe as we leave Kazuki's school immediately.

----

Well, this might be a problem, Adam thought. Hearing that one of the beta testers almost committing a breach of contract is bad enough, but the fact that he blatantly revealed his real name in the game is enough to grind his gears. It isn't long before his colleague approaches him, at which he notices that he's not in a mood for any humor from Mr. Spears. Thankfully, he's absent from the break room for today since he's busy polishing the upcoming expansion of [Isekai Online].

"I'm guessing the talk didn't go very well, eh, White?"

"A bit. Thankfully, he's promised not to do it again with a warning. Though, I'll see it to believe it." White groans afterward and scratches his head, frustrated at the change of events. "Still, I'm having some doubts about letting him beta test the game in the first place. He did make some results, but he has a problem when it comes to his pride and overconfidence."

"He did help us with working out the [Quests] for the expansion and the upcoming events. Knowing him, he's not the type to divulge any confidential stuff in the public unless it is necessary for the game. Even now, most of the details related to him are just rumors. So we can rest easy until the expansion launches in a few weeks."

"Easy for you to say. Don't forget we're dealing with state-of-the-art AI that you helped on creating in your company. One slip-up and we could have a major leak that might take us days to fix. If that happens, then you and your team will take responsibility for the repercussions."

"I understand. However, I'm not the only one who will face them. You're his father after all and discipline isn't the only thing you can do for him. I can tell that much from my experience with dealing with two boys with contrast personalities."

White slightly chuckles before he sighs and sits down on a nearby chair. "Yeah. I'm just jealous that you have two kids while we have our only daughter going to college in Britain. Not to mention that your younger son is more normal than mine despite the same age and birthday."

Adam slaps him in the back in response and said, "Well, if he sheds his <Zale> persona, maybe they might become friends. Though I wish they study at the same school."

"Same."

Once that's said, both men grab a cup of coffee before they continue their conversation.