America's Sweetheart (2)

Chapter 2

     "Ready?" Reid Parker smirked at me, his hand hovering over the door handle.

     I glared at my fake-boyfriend. "Does it matter?"

     He laughed. "No, not really."

     I rolled my eyes and turned to my side of the window. Glancing outside, I could see two large, fancy-looking doors. The shiny words ELECTRIC PULSE were pasted above the doors. Electric Pulse was the club Reid wanted to stop by at, unfortunately. I really didn't see the point in stopping by anywhere, seeing as how if we did, we'd be late for our dinner with Chase and Lindsay at the Orchid. And Chase hated it when people kept him waiting -- for anything.

     I watched as a guard stood to the right of the doors, and when he saw us stop in front of the back entrance to the club, he slowly made his way towards us. He stopped in front of the driver's side of the car, and then tapped at the window. 

     Diego, Reid's driver, rolled down the window, and patiently waited for the guy to speak.

     "You coming in, or just gonna sit in the car? And you're not allowed to park in front of the back entrance -- go find a parking lot." The guard said gruffly. 

     Diego shook his head and jabbed his thumb to the back seats, where Reid and I were seated. "No. They're coming in. I'm just dropping them off." He replied swiftly.

     The guard leaned forward and glanced at us through the open window. "And who would 'they' be...?" He started to ask in a bored voice, but suddenly trailed off as he set his eyes on us. For a split second, a look of surprise flitted across his face, but then he quickly composed himself and in that same bored voice said, "Well, come in, come in."

     "Yeah man, don't worry. We know where the entrance is. Go on. We're right behind you." Reid sniggered, a devious look in his forest-green eyes. He waited till the guard nodded and walked back to the doors, then, without another word, pushed his side of the door open and jumped out of the SUV. Gracefully, he turned back and held his hand out to me. "Coming?" He asked mockingly as his piercing eyes stared down at me.

     "Of course." I played along and took his hand as I climbed out of the car as well.

     As soon as I stepped out into the dark night, I felt a blast of humid in my face. Even in my black disco mini skirt and pearl-white club solid tank, I felt like I was in Hawaii or something. It was so hot! It had been five years since I'd moved to California, but I still wasn't used to the intense heat.Of course, the fact that I was always travelling and basically never in California long enough to get used to the ridiculous heat could be one reason I hadn't adapted to it yet, but whatever. That was besides the point.

     "Why are we here again?" I muttered as I walked by Reid's side. Behind me, I heard the roar of Diego driving away. I skimmed my eyes around us, looking for any paparazzi. I really didn't want to run into any of those stalkers with cameras, especially with all those controversies about me going around at the moment. If they saw me, I knew we'd be done for -- they'd basically mob me and bombard me with silly questions. Thankfully, I didn't see any signs of any paparazzi, and I figured we were safe. I silently thanked Diego for being able to get rid of them as we rode here. They'd been following us in their own cars as we'd driven to the club, but Diego had amazingly managed to throw them off.

     Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Reid roll his eyes. "I need to meet a friend of mine, that's why. Now relax and just enjoy yourself, 'kay? And don't worry, we'll be out of here in no more than an hour, and still have plenty of time for dinner with Chase and Lindsay if we meet them by eight."