Hana placed her bag next to her chair on the floor, and looked up with a smile.

"Is he?" she asked in Houssam's direction, and his eyes skimmed over her face for a second before he turned away a bit uncomfortably.

"Uh yeah. I'm making cinnamon rolls."

"Oh those are my favorite!" Hana exclaimed, and Houssam smiled, but didn't say anything. Would could have been an awkward silence was broken by the baby.

"UM?!" Kareem demanded, and Amir laughed before placing his son in his high chair.

"What should I give him? Toast?" Amir asked Yusra, and she subtly pushed her plate away, exchanging an amused glance with her brother.

"Um, no I think that would be too much for him. Maybe just a jar of bananas and some of that Gerber baby cereal."

"Do you need help Houssam?" Hana asked, and he brushed away a lock of his hair before smiling at her.

"Can you roll?"

"How hard can it be to roll?" she asked, and both Yusra and Amir groaned.

"Don't get him started on it. It's takes skills to make it so precise! I hate making grape leaves around him!" Yusra exclaimed and Houssam put a hand on his hip glaring at her.

"Excuse me for trying to make things perfect!"

"Houssam, we don't care if it is perfect! We just want to eat before next year!" Amir said, and Houssam rolled his eyes at him before motioning Hana forward.

"Okay so they key is to make sure you've used enough flour. If it's too sticky or moist, then it sticks together all wrong and won't roll right. Okay?"

"Got it." Hana said with a smile as she pushed up her sleeves. He passed her a rolled out piece of dough with cinnamon and sugar in the middle and as she began to roll it, she was acutely aware that he was scrutinizing her every move. Once she had finished, she held it up for him to inspect and he grinned.

"See! This is how you roll something! You see that Yusra!" he demanded shoving it in his sister's face, and she laughed before pushing his arm away.

"Yes, yes Hana is amazing we all know that. Just make the rest before we have to leave for the hospital!" she exclaimed, and Hana and Houssam set out to finish them.

Side by side.

Once they had finished two trays, Houssam put them in the oven, and looked over at Hana with a smile.

"Well done partner!" he exclaimed and she laughed.

"Why thank you. You weren't so bad yourself."

"What!? I wasn't so bad myself!? Are you kidding!? I'm like King Cinnamon!" he bellowed, and they all laughed, everyone except for Yusra missing the way Houssam was watching Hana fondly.

Interesting.

Once he caught his sister looking at him with a raised eyebrow, he hurriedly turned back around, his ears turning red.

"Okay so um, we need to make the frosting. It's very simple so you don't have to help if you don't want to." He said to Hana, and she shook her head.

"No I do! I learned a new recipe and can't wait to try it out myself!"

Houssam smiled.

"Well in that case I'll let you do it, and just tell you what to do." He said stepping aside so she could come in front of the bowl.

***

Hana stood in front of the mixing bowl, every fiber of her being aware that Houssam was right behind her. She hadn't planned on forgiving him. She hadn't planned on making cinnamon rolls with him, let alone having fun while doing it.