Chapter 33

When Two-Bit and his mom got Clara home, they got her ready to take a bath.  She loved baths and they calmed her down.  She loved playing with bubbles.  She liked how the bubbles looked different from other angles.  Once she was regulated, Valerie got down to her level, "Clara, can you tell me what happened?"

"Lily went to the place where the dead people are. Keith wouldn't listen to me."

"Honey, I understand that you wanted to find Lilith, but you can't just leave like that."

"I wanted Lily."  Clara said forcefully, eyes filling with tears.

Valerie closed her eyes and sighed.  Clara didn't understand the danger of wandering.  She really didn't understand the danger of anything.  She was oblivious to strangers.  She would go with anyone if they asked her.  Clara still struggled looking both ways before she crossed the street.  Valerie took Clara out of the tub and dried her off.  She got in her pajamas and brushed her teeth.  Valerie tucked her in and as Clara drifted to sleep, Valerie wondered how she would keep her daughter safe.

The next morning, Lil went downstairs to find all the guys minus Two-Bit sleeping in the living room.  She went into the kitchen where Linda and Darry were having coffee.  She stood in front of them with her arms crossed, "what the heck were you two doing last night?"

Darry just about spit out his coffee, "whaddya mean?" he asked, ignoring the fact that his face burned.

"It sounded you guys were wrestling." She huffed.

"Um, yeah. Sorry Lil," Darry got up and poured her a bowl of cereal, "keep it down. The guys are still sleeping."

"Can I go play baseball?" 

"Eat your breakfast." Darry reminded gently.

"Ugh!" Lil grumpily ate her cereal, "ok, I'm done! Can I go now?"

Darry tried to hold back a smile, "yes, go get dressed and get outta here.  We'll come down to the park after Two-Bit and Clara get here."

Ponyboy came out of his room, still thinking about last night.  He and Steve had never even been friends.  They tolerated each other for Soda's sake, but that was it. 

Pony stepped outside for a smoke.  He hadn't even lit it when he heard the door open behind him, "hey," Steve said softly, "about last night."

Pony reddened, "uh yeah, you were drunk, I get it."

Steve stared at the younger boy, "what? No!" He said harshly, "I meant it when I said that I like you!"

Pony looked at Steve, his green eyes sparkling, "I like you too, but we can't..."

Steve stepped forward and grabbed Pony's hand, "we don't have to say anything."

"I'd like that," he said with a smile that Steve found irresistible.  They stood for a moment, gazing in each other's eyes, still holding hands. 
However, they dropped hands immediately when Lil came running out the door, not that she would have noticed.  She just wanted to get to the field.

Lil met up with Nick and Ian as well as a few others.  They didn't have enough for a game, so they were all just playing catch until more kids showed up.  Lil started complaining to Ian and Nick about how Linda and Darry were wrestling and it kept her up.

"Josie and her boyfriend wrestle all the time.  One time they were wrestling with no clothes on!" Nick said in disgust.

Ian laughed, "they ain't wrestling, they're doin' each other." Ian leaned closer, "ya know like sex."

"Yuck!" Lil cringed, "that's gross!"

"Yeah, gross," Nick agreed, "girls are gross!" he shouted.

Lil punched him in the shoulder, "I'm a girl, you moron!"

"You don't count!" Ian said, causing the three friends to bust out laughing until they were able to start a game.

Darry, Soda, and Johnny headed down to field to watch Lil.  Soda was still shocked that Steve and Pony volunteered to stayed behind, saying they would do the dishes, "hope they don't kill each other," he muttered.

Killing each other was the last thing on Steve and Pony's minds.  Pony sat on the counter as he and Steve were into a heavy make out session.  Pony loved the way Steve would kiss him rough, but gentle at the same time.  Pony had his fingers twisted through Steve's chestnut hair, messing up the swirls that he spent so much time on.

Steve and Pony were too distracted to realize the door open until they heard a small voice, "what are you doing?"

"Clara!!??" Both boys jumped up, embarrassed and scared that she was going to say something.  Pony got down to her level, "where's Two-Bit?" he demanded.

"He's smoking a stinky cigarette," she made a face.

"Clara," Steve asked, "what were me and Pone doin?"

"I don't know.  That's why I asked." She said in an annoyed tone.

"Ok," Steve and Pony exhaled the breath they were holding.

"I thought you were kissing," she said as she turned away, "but that isn't right.  Boys don't kiss."  Clara skipped out the door, leaving the two greaser anxious.  Would she say anything?  What would the gang say?