❝Yes, yes. This Empress feels amazing today, how are you feeling, child? I saw your parents earlier, how are they doing?❞ The Empress Dowager asked smiling kindly.

The Empress Dowager was indeed Zhang Wan's birth mother. She was a good woman who loved justice and hated unruly people, she treated Xu Yang fairly and didn't create her problems. She is the only who suggested to investigate further about the accusations they throw at Xu Yang, but the Emperor was too in love with Mu Jong to listen to his mother logical reasoning.

❝My parents are doing good, they wish your majesty a blessed birthday and long life.❞Xu Yang continued with a smile on her face.

❝Oh my, they are good people, good. You are a good child too, this Empress is satisfied with you. I will wait for you tomorrow to drink some tea together.Sit down now, child.❞ The Empress Dowager replied smiling.

❝Yes, your majesty, this daughter-in-law will prepare good tea for your majesty tomorrow. ❞

Xu Yang sat down in the seat next to the Emperor who didn't even acknowledged her. He kept sipping from his tea and looking around the room.

The Empress Dowager smiled and laughed.

❝Good, good, I look forward child. ❞

The Emperor couldn't help but frown at the conversations next to him. What his mother saw so good in this woman?

Xu Yang knew she needed to be on the Empress Dowager good side since she is a virtuous and good woman and won't treat her poorly. Xu Yand drank from her tea cup making light conversation with the Empress from time to time. She already had a plan in mind and only had to carefully put it into motion.

After the banquet was over, Xu Yang was sending off her parents when she pulled her father to the side.

❝I have a request, father.❞

❝What do you want from your father, child?❞

❝Can you give me a trained guard, father? One that can protect me from the shadows, this daughter feels in danger alone in the Palace.❞ Xu Yang looked at her father with a sad expression.

Her father's heart went soft immediately.

❝Your father has the best guards in the Empire, I will sent you the best one tomorrow and you shall instruct him as you want. I should've thought about that myself, what if the women in the harem try to harm my poor Yang'er? This father will take care of it tonight, rest assured.❞

❝This daughter thanks her father, go now or mother will be concerned. Take care, father. Tell my brothers I miss them. ❞

They part ways and Xu Yang goes to her room to sleep.

The next day she choose a pink dress with purple flowers, a little make-up done by Ji An and two gold hairpins to meet Empress Dowager. Arriving at the Empress Dowager Palace, she told the servants to notify her majesty.

❝Your majesty...The Empress Dowager is sick and can't get out of bed. She apologize for making your majesty come all this way. ❞A servant girl explained.

❝Oh my! Her majesty is sick? Please allow this daughter-in-law to see her majesty, I might be able to help.❞

❝This lowly one will tell the Empress your message.❞The servant hurried back inside.

Xu Yang already knew her majesty will fall ill. It's nothing serious, but an allergy to one of the foods her majesty got gifted on her birthday. This allergy made her highness's face full of red spots and made her breathing difficult. It lasted 2 days for the doctors to discover that it was just an allergy and prepare the medicine, Xu Yang remembered exactly what the medicine was.

❝Her majesty welcomes you inside. ❞

Xu Yang nodded along and entered the bedroom, her eyes falling on the Empress Dowager.

❝Oh my, child. Forgive my appearance, I don't feel good enough to get off bed.❞ The Empress said sitting in bed, still in her nightgown.

❝Do not worry, your majesty looks graceful. On the other hand, will your majesty allow me to check your illness? I have some knowledge in medicine, I may be lucky enough to cure it myself. ❞

❝You do? That's good, come and check then, child. Servant, bring a chair for her majesty.❞

A maid immediately came back with a soft chair and puts in next to her majesty bed. Xu Yang looks at her majesty's face and check her pulse and other usual things medics do.

❝Did your majesty ate something new? Something your majesty never had before?❞ Xu Yang asks smiling and speaking softly.

The Empress Dowager starts to think deeply.