To Be Celebrated

May 2028

Mother's Day.

A day in which Melinda May never saw herself celebrating. Well, she always celebrated it as a kid with her mother, but after Bahrain, she never thought she would be the one being celebrated. When she first realized how much she cared about the members of her team the way a mother would care about their kids, she almost wanted to run away from it. Thankfully, as time went on, she fully embraced it. 

May remembers the days of her prime and when she was touring the Academy, looking at the new recruits at the time and seeking out those who would become the next best of the best. That's when she first spotted Bobbi Morse. At the time, May believed her to be the strongest recruit she had ever seen. The blonde-haired girl was fierce and never seemed to back down from a challenge. Melinda had even asked Fury himself to keep her updated on her progress. The two ended up working a few missions here and there, and it was clear the young agent looked up to May.

She and Bobbi became a little distant after she transferred to desk duty after Bahrain, but when she returned to the field under Coulson, she was pretty excited when he told her that he recruited Agent Morse for the team. She hadn't realized how much she actually cared and feared for this agent's life until she was almost killed by Grant Ward. She continuously thinks about that day and thanks God that Bobbi made it out alive. Even if she won't admit it, she did give Hunter a shovel talk of sorts when she found out the two of them were starting their relationship again.

And maybe she does care about Hunter too. She certainly would be upset if he got extremely hurt somehow, but that was another thing she will never say out loud. The only person who knew this was probably Hunter himself since she had made him some tea and gave him a smile when he was sick one day.

Thinking back to the days on the Bus, she couldn't imagine the amount of love she would have for the two scientists that were recruited for Coulson's field team. Or at least Coulson believed he was the one to recruit them. Fury instructed May with evaluating files for the team. She needed someone to repair his body and reprogram his brain if it had to be done. She saw a name: Fitzsimmons. They specialized in biochem and engineering and were at the top of their class at the Sci-Tech division at the Academy. She was even more fascinated by the fact that they had graduated three years early, making them the youngest in their class. She made sure to keep an extra eye on them since it didn't look like they had any type of field training.

She was even more shocked to find out that Fitzsimmons wasn't a single scientist but rather two, young, extremely smart scientists: Leopold Fitz from Scotland and Jemma Simmons from England. They seemed to constantly finish each others' sentences. It was even clear to May that the two complimented each other almost perfectly. She wondered if the two had feelings for one another. That appeared to be true as Fitz and Jemma became a couple a little over two years later. They had their ups and downs and were separated more often than not, but they always found their way back to each other.

Their wedding was the first time Melinda allowed herself to cry with joy. She wanted the best for these two scientists that have grown so much together and individually. She would do whatever it took to make sure the two of them got the happy ending they wanted. She definitely cried again when she met their beautiful, four-year-old daughter after they all saved the world (again). Alya Fitzsimmons was perfect in every way, and when the little girl called her 'Nana May', her heart swelled.

May never saw herself getting that close with Mack when he had first joined Coulson's unit. He was just the mechanic; he did most of his work in the garage and wasn't too interested in the field where she worked. They didn't have anything in common. What would they even talk about or bond over? Eventually, Coulson did convince him to join fieldwork. When May was looking through his files just to see what his training and qualifications in the field were, she saw that the two of them weren't as different as they thought.