Chapter 4: Winter Soldier

We arrived a few hours later at a small house that Steve said we could lie low at. My mom was awake and walking but she had a headache. It was about 7 am I think when we saw someone pull into the drive. We followed Steve to the back door and he knocked. A few seconds later the curtain shot open and a man stood on the other side looking from one of us to the next. He opened the door and looked at Steve, confusion displayed on his face

"Hey, man." The guy said.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve said.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." my mom spoke up.

"Not everyone." The guy said, inviting us in. "I'm Sam by the way." He showed us to the guest bathroom where we could take turns cleaning up while he made breakfast. We let my mom go first since she looked worse than us. It was silent between me and Steve as I stared out the window, thousands of thoughts running through my head. A few minutes later the shower shut off, signaling my mom was almost done.

"You can go next." I muttered to Steve, who had been sitting on the bed staring at the wall.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes. I need to have a word with my mom." I told him, not looking away from the window. He continued to sit silently while waiting for my mom to come out. A minute later she walked out and sat on the bed, Steve going into the bathroom. I looked over at her, her back towards me.

"You're hiding something from me." I said walking over to the wall in front of her and leaning against it, "You know something more about the Winter Soldier and it also has to do with me. You don't have to tell me now, but eventually."

"Why don't you just look into my head?"

"Cause I know you don't want me to. And you're my mom so I won't."

"I'm not ready to talk about it." she said after a moment.

"That's fine." I said. I heard the water shut off and a minute later Steve walked out.

"It's all yours." he said sitting on the bed near my mom. I closed the bathroom door and stripped my clothing, starting the shower and getting in. A few minutes later, I got out and put the clothes that Sam had given me on. He had a sister who often visited so he gave me and my mom some of her clothes. As I was doing this I heard my mom and Steve start talking.

"You okay?" Steve asked.

"Yeah."

"What's going on?"

My mom was silent for a minute before she began speaking again, "When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D. I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but I guess I can't tell the difference anymore."

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business."

"I owe you."

"It's okay."

"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, now you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?"

"I would now." he said, "And I'm always honest."

"Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing."

"Well, guess I just like to know who I'm fighting."

I came out of the bathroom as Sam came into the bedroom. "I made breakfast." he said, leaning against the door, "If you guys eat that sort of thing." I smiled at this and followed him out of the room. I grabbed one of the paper plates and put a piece of toast and bacon on it, sitting down at the table. Soon the others joined me and started talking.