Coraline Joans (part 3)

Well shit. The real mother decided that it was a great idea to seal our door with rat crap. How mature. Now Coraline was livid and hasn't been bringing her doll around anymore. So Vermin couldn't go out and we couldn't see through the doll's eyes. Every time I closed my eyes all I saw was the dreary kitchen that they lived in. Pale light from a dying lightbulb and rain out the window. I can see why Coraline liked our world better.

The Other Mother walked in with piles of bags, dumping them on a couple of chair then looking over at Coraline. They talked in hushed voices before they argued about lunch, now through the doll I could hear.

"You can pick out something you like?"

"Oh, like the gloves." Absentmindedly, Coraline traced the pattern of her fingers along her skin and onto the table. I wished that a could see what she was creating, I could turn it into a picture for her new room. Show that I was paying attention, not the woman who was picking up her bag and walking out the door, and absentminded comment following her steps. "Be back soon."

"But I might be." Coraline glimpsed at the doll and then raced to one of the drawers, pulling out the key, our key.

Crap. Vermin ran around and out to the back garden where the Other Father was sitting more in his pumpkin form than his human form. It wasn't even enough time for me to make something up like with Victoria. It had been too long since I had eaten to work so fast.

Closing my eyes I made a few snacks to slow her down and an outfit which would slow her even more. She said she wanted gloves, a full outfit is better than that, right? A little more filled with love topped it off. I heard Coraline open the door and pause for a minute, looking around the room before coming into the kitchen. Then an idea struck so I changed the note quickly before running to the outside of the house.

I hadn't been outside by myself for a while. The same pink walls were painted neatly with white rails and fences for the porch. It looked exactly the same as when I moved into the house one hundred and fifty years ago or there bouts. I wondered what the world was like directly after I went missing. Who moved into the house while I was creating the world down here. I wondered if James had looked around the town for me, putting up posters and calling out my name through the woods. When they didn't find me how long till they thought the house was haunted. How long till they thought I went down the well and made it taboo to go there. But if they hadn't, what if another unsuspecting person fell down. Would we have grand dame's of this place. A Other Mother and Father is control. The thought was intriguing.

Vermin sat on one of the trunks as I crossed him to go downstairs. He winked at me and smiled as best he could.

***
"Did you have a good time sweetie?"

"Oh yes, it was amazing. They scooped down and pulled me right out of my seat!" With her arms she re-enacted the thrill she just went through, her smile lighting up her face. Behind us Other Wybie was walking with slugged feet. I quickly ushered Coraline into the house before I turned to Wybie who was frowning. I tilted my head to the side and smiled at him. He paused before slowly returning the gesture. I would need to talk to him again before I let him near Coraline. But if everything went right tonight, Wybie would no longer be needed.

"You know you could stay here forever if you wanted to."

"Really?"

"Yes. We could stay up, play games and mother can cook your favourite meals."

"There is just one tiny little thing we have to do."

This but never got easier. I fished the box out of one of the side drawers and presented it "to you. Our little doll."