00

flashback.

  "Is your dad home?" Candice asked, peering across Kennedy to see out of the passenger side window, "Seems kind of dark."

  The house was pitch black. It didn't look like there was a single light on at all. For most people, it wouldn't be strange. But Kennedy's father would always make sure there were lights on to come home too. Even if he left mid-afternoon or even morning, her dad would turn the lights on if he would be home after dark.

  "He's probably just out. I'm sure he'll be home soon." Kennedy lied, opening the car door to step out onto the sidewalk. 

  Shutting the door behind her, Kennedy opened the door to the back seat, grabbing her bag and belongings out of the car. She glanced over her shoulder toward the house, unable to shake the uneasy feeling that something was ... off.

  "I'll see you at school on Monday?" Candice asked, rolling down the window of the passenger side, so her friend could answer,

  "Yeah, sure thing. I'll see you then." As soon as Kennedy had replied, Candice rolled the window back up, pulling away and disappearing down the street. 

  And just like that, Kennedy was all alone, the street lamp emitting an amber glow over the otherwise dark street. The houses were fairly spaced apart, their large structures built to capture as much of the ocean view as possible from the top of the cliff. Kennedy's dad had always said it was nice and quiet, gave him room to breathe, not having your neighbors always in your business, which is an unusual way to put it unless you have something to hide.

  Which wasn't uncommon in neighborhoods like this one. With the number of digits in bank accounts around here, there's almost always some scheme involved; it just depends on how deep you're in. Just the rich getting richer. Kennedy liked to make an exception for her dad, though. Sure, the scheme was there, propping them up to look like the perfect single father and daughter duo. But he was merely a puppet on their strings, and she, a prop that made it all look natural.

  Kennedy slowly made her way toward the front door. Now more than ever, she wished she lived in a small house that wasn't so intimidating. She wished Candice hadn't sped off, leaving her alone. But when had Candice ever been a friend Kennedy could genuinely rely on?

  "Hello?" She called upon entering the house, turning on some lights in the entry as she made her way through. Kennedy's father hadn't mentioned going anywhere today, which was strange. He would usually tell her if he was leaving and when he was expected home.

  Kennedy made her way from one room of the house into the next, turning on every light she could find. The uneasy feeling in her stomach turned to nausea, covering the entire downstairs without any sight or sound of her father.

  He's not home. Kennedy tried to convince herself as she climbed the stairs, but she couldn't stop thinking about the fact that both the cars were in the garage. He's just gone out.

  Kennedy's father's study was the first room at the top of the stairs. She reached forward, pushing the ajar door open. She felt for the light switch on the wall, her fingers flipping it on, to illuminate the dark space.

  Kennedy froze. 

  His body lay there in front of her. His limbs sprawled out across the blood-soaked rug. The color had drained from his face, his skin pale and clammy. Kennedy could see the dark blood-stain on his white shirt, spreading out from the wound in his chest.

  The seconds felt drawn out as Kennedy stood stagnant in the doorway. She didn't know what to do, her mind was running overtime, and her body wouldn't respond to a single thing her mind was telling her. 

  "Dad." The word fell from her lips, barely a whisper, pulling her from her trance. She knelt beside her father, the tears streaming down her face. She pressed her fingers to his neck, trying to find a pulse, but his skin was cold. Kennedy reached for her phone from her back pocket. Her fingers dialing for emergency services, but she hesitated to press the call button.

  Call Bryce. If anything happens to me, call Bryce. Her dad's voice echoed in her mind. Before anyone else, you call Bryce, do you understand?

  Kennedy went to her contacts scrolling down to find the number before pressing the call button. The ring came through a couple of times before the click of an answer came through. 

  "Hello, Bryce Jordan speaking."

  "Hey Bryce, it's Kennedy Mason, Daniel's daughter," Her voice broke, "There's been an ... incident, and I need your help."