Marcel looked at Elijah for approval, and the Original nodded. "Tell us what you need."

"Alright, the kids are being held in the City of the Dead until we bring them through the Quarter to St. Anne's Church," said Aiden. "Now, meanwhile, Finn is holding a meeting with a few humans in-the-know. The ones who have been... reluctant to fall in line with his new leadership."

Elijah was stunned. "He's going to use the children to kill any opposition."

Aiden nodded. "Activate their curse, send a message to anyone who's thinking about going against him. It's two birds, one... bloodbath."

"So we'll hit them while the kids are on the move," suggested Marcel. "We can use the underground passageways from the Prohibition era— I know them like the back of my hand."

"I have an idea," said Esmeray, tapping her fingertips together. "If we're using the passageways, I can go in and cast a spell over the entire system. As soon as you get the kids inside, no one will be able to find them. The tricky part is getting them in without being seen."

"We can use the entrance in Rousseau's," said Josh, who was looking at Aiden rather intently. "There's a hidden door that leads straight into the underground. If we can get them there, I can open and close the door and go on with my day and no one will suspect a thing. As soon as they're in, Finn can't find them."

Elijah pointed at the two wolves. "Aiden, make certain you and Oliver escort the children. We'll handle the rest."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait," said Oliver, holding his hands up. "Esther and her psycho son are already giving me the stink-eye. If these kids go missing on my watch, I'm as good as dead."

"You wanted to help your people and make amends for the past," Elijah told him. "This is your chance."

Did things always have to go wrong? Esmeray wondered this often. Her spell had been flawless— that wasn't the problem. She just didn't know that a trap had been set. None of them would realize it until the next day when Oliver and Elijah didn't make it back.

She hadn't given them a second thought. As soon as she cast her spell, Klaus had let her know that Davina's family had a cabin in The Terrebonne Parish. Since Klaus was still in the French Quarter, he'd come to get her in his car before taking the two of them to the cabin.

"Is she alone in there?" asked Esmeray quietly as they got closer to the door. "Like, just her and Mikael? Or does she have an accomplice?"

"Camille only determined that she was here. There was no word on an accomplice." He moved up to the window, looking into and seeing a couch and coffee table. He didn't appear to see any movement, and when Esmeray peeked, she couldn't, either.

"Someone's in there," she said, putting her hand on the glass before moving toward another window that showed a fairly clean room. "There's a spell so that we can't see in. It could be so that we won't see Mikael and Davina are in there. But the lights are on. If she was a bit more experienced, she would have added an extra illusion component to make it seem like no one was home at all."

"Do you need to undo the spell to get us in?" asked Klaus, flexing his fingers and looking around on the ground for something he could grab. "Or could I simply..." He picked up a particularly long stick that had a crest Esmeray recognized all too well— it was the crest of Klaus's family, which she'd seen in his memories. He growled before throwing it right through the living room window as if it was a javelin. The glass exploded, and there was a cut off scream followed by a loud crash.

"Enough games, Davina!" Klaus shouted. "Send out my father! Let's finish this!"

They could see Davina inside, but she didn't appear to be conscious. There was another figure in the room that neither Klaus or Esmeray recognized. The werewitch tried to open the door, but similar to the spell that had long ago been placed on Alaric's apartment, she could not touch the doorknob, meaning she couldn't open it.