Chapter 17 - Blood, Sweat, Tears, and Troubles

Start from the beginning

Albert and Spot chuckle.

"Can you talk to us, please?" Albert asks again.

Race sighs softly. "It's nothing really. There's just this kid who hates our group, probably because we're happier than he is, and he hates my guts," he explains. "My mouth doesn't shut."

Albert and Spot chuckle weakly.

"I said some things to set him off, mainly because he got under my skin." Race continues, tears stinging his eyes. "He called Tommy boy pathetic and called me 'an orphan who's parents never loved him' and so I broke." He whispers. "I never hurt him physically, I'd never do that, but he shoved me against the wall."

Albert and Spot share a look.

"He said he'd break me, and before I could do anything, he was choking me." Race looks down at his lap.

Albert had noticed him playing with the fidget cube had sped up.

"Hey, hey. Look at me." Albert lifts Race's chin gently. "I'm not mad." He smiles softly at him. "I'm grateful that you told me."

"I'm going to go kill him." Spot growls, his fists clenched as he starts walking out of the room.

"No!" Race and Albert both jump up, grabbing Spot.

They sit him down on Race's bed.

Race waves a finger in his face. "I can fight my won battles, I don't need you doing it for me." He states.

Spot grumbles, crossing his arms, but nods.

Race nods to Albert.

Albert nods, sitting down next to Spot on the bed.

Race walks out of the room.

He slowly walks down the stairs, stopping about halfway down.

He takes a deep breath.

They're not going to be mad at you.

They're just worried.

They love you, he's wrong.

With this stuff repeating in his head, Race walks down the stairs.

He stands in the doorway of the living room.

JoJo and Elmer gasp, being the first ones to see him.

They jump up and run over to him, grabbing him into a hug.

Race felt salty tears sting his eyes for the third time that day.

"I'm so sorry." Elmer whispers, clinging to Race.

Race felt warm tears stream down his face. "He insulted you- you guys, and- an- Tommy, and called me a- a 'orphan who's parents never loved him'." He whispers.

Elmer and JoJo share a look, before just continuing to hold him.

"Was it Nick?" JoJo asks quietly.

Race just nods.

"And he choked you?" Elmer questions, his voice soft like he didn't want to hurt Race any more.

Race chokes out a sob.

They took that as their answer.

Hannah nods to Medda.

Medda nods, walking out of the room.

JoJo and Elmer pull away from Race.

Race walks over to Tommy boy, taking his hand softly. "Whatever he says," he starts quietly. "You are not pathetic."

Tommy boy pulls Race into a hug, his grip stronger than it usually was.

Race pulls away after a minute, his eyes still red and glossed over.

He saw Hannah staring at him, her eyes sad and concerned.

Race almost broke down into tears again and he ran over to her, hugging her tightly.

Hannah holds him tightly. "Spot and Albert explained what he said when you were hugging the others," she whispers into his ear.

Race sobs quietly, his head tucked in the crook of her neck.

"Your mother and Nonna loved you very much when they were alive." Hannah continues softly. "Your father, when he was in the right mindset, loved you so much." She comforts. "I love you so much."

Race chokes out a sob. "I love you too." He whispers, his grip never loosening.

Hannah swore she felt time stop as she realized what he said.

Sure, Race appreciated her and he told her that, but he had never said that he loved her.

Hannah just continues to hug him as she lets what he said sink in.

She meets Medda's eyes, who was across the room, smiling softly.

Medda shoots her a smile that said 'these are the points where the blood, sweat, tears, and troubles all are with it'.

Hannah agreed.

And they stayed like that for a while, just hugging.

Race felt safe in Hannah's embrace.

He felt a motherly love that he hadn't felt for years.

1130 Words
Part 2 of the last chapter (idea still by Bubbles070506 )