1. Three Broomsticks

"Look at that." Harry laughed. The Three Broomsticks was crowded, as expected on a Hogsmeade weekend. Almost every table was full of Hogwarts students and a few professors, chatting among themselves. Madam Rosmerta, the waitress of the establishment, was kept busy with Butterbeer orders. "Looks like young Colin Creevey has a date."

"Colin Creevey?" Ron squinted his eyes to have a better look. "It's really him. And it looks like the girl is even happy to listen to his rambling. Well, at least he's not fawning over you."

Harry hummed in agreement and continued looking around.

"Too bad Hermione is missing this." Ron said.

"Well, you know her." Harry shrugged. "And she's not completely wrong. Our OWL's are getting close."

"She needs to take a break." Ron said. "I don't care that my potions essay is not going to be ace. It's just an essay. It's not even going to be graded."

"The potions essay!" Harry felt like his heart had stopped. It was ridiculous that he was freaking out about a potions essay when he had fought Voldemort, but he did not fancy giving Snape another chance to bully him. And he was already bad enough at that subject. "I completely forgot about that."

"You forgot?" Ron asked. "We have potions tomorrow morning."

"I know." Harry groaned. He sighed heavily and looked around, trying to decide how urgent this was. "Damn it. I'm going to do it now." Harry grabbed his robes stood up. "You can stay here. I'll hurry."

"Err..." For a few seconds Ron was unsure if he should accompany Harry or if he was a bad friend if he would just stay. "I think I want to finish my Butterbeer at least..."

"Alright." Harry said. "Dean and Seamus are over there."

Ron nodded, watching Harry give him one last departing nod and hurrying through the busy pub towards the exit. Just on the way, he passed Malfoy coming in with that Parkinson girl. Harry seemed to barely notice them but Ron watched as Malfoy turned his head to watch Harry open the door and leave the Three Broomsticks.

Ron decided to do as Harry suggested and stood up to join Seamus and Dean. He was just a few steps away from his former seat when he caught the words, "Have you not seen him? I mean, he doesn't even have to comb his hair and it looks perfect. It's not fair."

It could mean anything, really. But a weird inkling made Ron turn around slowly, watching Malfoy and Parkinson sitting down at the table him and Harry had just sat. Parkinson looked slightly annoyed but a bit fond.

"He didn't even notice me." Malfoy said quietly, but since Ron was specifically seeking out his voice through the general pub noise he could still hear him. "Why does he never notice me, Pansy?"

"He does notice you, sissy." Pansy said, waving to get Madam Rosmerta's attention.

Ron's mind was racing. He had no problem admitting that he was not as bright as Hermione was, but this conversation sounded weird in his head. He felt like they were talking about Harry. But not in a way he would have expected them to speak about him. Though the association he got with the hints they were making was too abstruse to be true.

"But not in the way I want him to." Malfoy grumbled and put his chin on his hand that was supported by his elbow on the table and-

His eyes caught Ron's. Malfoy immediately straightened his stance. For a few seconds, both boys looked at each other wide eyed, processing what the other could have said or heard.

Then, Ron broke eye contact, put his Butterbeer on a random table and hurried outside, ignoring Malfoy's shout of, "Weasley!"

Ron was still not sure if he had gotten this whole thing right, but if he did... He did not know. He was determined to speak to Hermione about this. She would probably have a more logical explanation. He really hoped she would.