Nothing good ever comes out of a science class

Start from the beginning

Boys

Judging from the lilting accent in the voice greeting Elijah, the overwhelming politeness in the tone, I knew it was Vincent. After a few minutes passed, the Blackewell boy strode through the front door, carrying a dark blue canteen in his hand. His blond curls were dampened by the drizzle outside and his red thermal was spotted with rain drops, creating dark splotches all over his arms and chest. 

"I didn't know you'd be here, Logan," Vincent grinned, extending a hand when he came into the kitchen. It took Logan a long minute, but he finally accepted Vincent's greeting before seating himself back down, facing away from Vincent. His expression was a thousand times more moody than it had been earlier. 

"I could say the same to you," I said. "I told you I was feeling better. There's no need to try and poison me with your tea anymore."

Vincent put on a pout as he set the canteen down in front of me. "My tea is not that bad, Park," he countered. That was a blatant lie. That kid couldn't brew a bag of ordinary green tea if his life depended on it. "But I'm here because I'm spending time with Elijah today."

I raised a brow at my cousin, who simply shrugged in response. "The poor kid hasn't had anyone give him a tour of Paradise," Elijah said. "So, even though I'm not his betrothed, I figured now would be the safest time since the amount of agents here should be enough to prevent his mother from chewing my ear off."

I ignored Elijah's jab. Logan turned to face me. "You're sick?" he asked. 

Alec walked by and grabbed my cup of coffee, taking a swig of its content before his face puckered. "That's way too much cream," he complained, wrinkling his nose. "She wasn't sick. It's just been Migraine Town here for the past two weeks. Trust me, you're lucky you weren't here. She was annoying."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Logan frowned, and his hand almost brushed against my cheek but my fingers caught his wrist before he came too close. 

"Yes, let me tell the injured patient lying in a hospital about an hour away about my headaches, that makes so much sense," I snorted. My eyes darted towards the clock on the microwave. "By the way, we're going to be late if we don't leave now."

Alec let out a bewildered laugh. 'You sound like you actually want to go to the academy."
"Well, being at the academy means I won't have to look at you for a good forty-five minutes."

"Oh, for the love of the gods', just leave," Elijah groaned, jabbing his finger in the direction of the door. "And tell Harlin to get the hell off of my lawn."

Elijah shooed us out of his hose, locking up the front door after we were all on his lawn. Logan's car was parked by Elijah's. Down at the end of the street, I could see the figure of one of the many agents stationed around the neighborhood casually jogging their dog. In the rain. Because that was sensible. 

Elijah and Vincent got into Elijah's car first. My cousin rolled down the window and gave a lazy salute before sliding on his glasses--even though there was no sun. Vincent waved at us all, smiling like a child and blushing when I waved back.  

Once they drove off, Alec made a noise at the back of his throat as Logan unlocked his car. "He's always blushing," Alec noted. "Not at all husband-material."

I rolled my eyes as I took the passenger seat. The engine rolled to life and Alec leaned forward from the back to crank up the radio. 

"Tall, dark, and handsome with witty remarks to everything in order to mask his tragic past. Black hair, mesmerizing jade--"

"I'm not marrying you."

"But I'm perfect husband material!"

"Park, if you're marrying him, I'll have to pray for the future of the kingdom," Logan chimed in. Alec flashed him a scowl, but that quickly turned into a malicious smile as the station began playing Katy Perry. Alec then leaned into his seat and began to sing along. Horrendously. Needless to say, it was an unpleasant ride. Not only did Alec sing off-key, the boys entered a competition of "Who Sang It Worst?"