2: Trip

I've never seen such beauty, 
I've never seen such clear skies,
I've never seen such high hopes,
I've never seen such tired eyes...

Clear Skies – Keane

.

Tap, tap, tap...

The sound of footsteps running could be heard across the empty hallway with cracked walls and ceiling whenever the earth wasn't quaking, the distant sounds of explosions echoed there.

Broooooooom!

The earth shook, the footsteps stopped until it was safe to move again and started to run; if it wasn't such a critical condition, of course the elevator was an option to take to get to destination but of course, the red alarm was on, the constant earthquakes were too dangerous and the building would collapse any time soon already. Where was the crew? They weren't responding to the signals sent, the last place to meet was their ship – they had orders to evacuate the planet no matter what: a big threat, bigger than anything they knew attacked.

Truly, it was a complete nightmare incarnated.

The quaking earth stopped after a full minute, the person, who was ducked stood up and kept on going in the way towards the hangar. It seemed that everyone already left towards either their shelters or their ships – the ones who were still alive or had injured friends, it wouldn't either take long before the escape spacecrafts, hundreds and hundreds across the globe capable of carry thousands of people inside started to leave the planet until it was safe to be back...

Of course, if it survived the invasion... everything known about that was... it was a terrible being who came from far beyond to destroy them.

The sound of somebody somewhere in the building calling out made the person stop, hearing it again a few seconds later... it was the crew! "Hey!" Called, "I'm here!" Called again now running, it didn't take long before the encounter: Blue gave a tight hug to his friend with the others, looking very happy to see their friend: Orange smiled happy before they all ran again to their specific hangar, ducking occasionally and avoiding the floor falling under their feet.

It didn't take too long until they arrived there, with everybody preparing everything they could get for what would be a long trip. They were probably some of the remaining inhabitants left, the other spacecrafts already took off towards an unknown location across the infinite cosmos – somewhere with similar conditions to their current, now condemned planet... even the military already left as part of superior orders, even if their invaders weren't that strong, their leader was a whole other story...

Orange got ready the launching countdown with certain... something inside, something he couldn't explain nor understand, he felt... impotence mostly, the world was ending and they were fleeing from their own planet. His gloved hands closed with anger, then pressed a button that opened the gate of the ceiling: they still had five minutes to go. The ground trembled and shook even more than the other times making them go pale, a loud explosion happened pretty close to their hangar and a purple beam raised into the aquamarine-turning-orange sky, passing right next to their moon: more than a half of it vanished into nothing but dust leaving it into a permanent waxing crescent phase.

Then there was static, clouds of fuzzy images passing by until the scene went back to normal when Blue started to scream on the window. He couldn't actually hear his voice on the other side, that was a fact, but his mind still heard him yell his name banging against the hard glass panel while the others tried to open the door, the countdown ended. The ship arose suddenly, making the crew splat against the floor, then it turned towards the sky...