Chapter 1

Bucky lay on his bed in the dark, the window open and the overhead fan spinning so fast he couldn't see the blades in the dim light of the early, early morning.

It was warm and muggy and the drone of locusts in the trees was settling down as night was almost over. July in Louisiana was like a slow, warm exhalation. Where better to leave behind the Winter Soldier than in a place where summer was a palpable force?

He'd thrown his sheets off long before and just lay in the breeze of the fan.

The ceiling was bumpy, a popcorn ceiling they called it, and the walls were covered in a floral wallpaper that looked like it had seen better days. Didn't help that Bucky had opened the door too hard and popped a hole in the drywall with the doorknob.

He needed to fix that. But Nate didn't mind. He'd offered to rent Bucky the room, and as he lived only three blocks from Sam and Sarah and the boys, Bucky had thanked him and moved in. The house didn't have AC and smelled like smoke and bacon and whatever tropical-looking flower was blooming outside his window. He liked it.

Not that Bucky wouldn't have rather stayed with Sam and Sarah, but the couch was really all they could spare and he didn't want to be in Sarah's way all the time. There was, of course, the queen bed in her room, but... Bucky shook his head.

Sam was not cool with even the idea of Sarah and Bucky. He hadn't warned him off flirting with her since that first time, but sometimes when he introduced Bucky to friends, he'd say, "He's like a brother to Sarah and me." Which was, of course, not true. He and Sam fought half the time, and he and Sarah...

Still it was a nice thing for Sam to say and ensured a warm welcome for Bucky. Bucky could almost assume it was an innocent comment, except for the times Sam rubbed it in. Like when Bucky and Sam had come back last week after being gone for nearly ten days. He and Sam drove up to the dock and Sarah was walking out toward them. She started smiling when she saw they were both in the truck and almost ran for a half step before pulling herself in and walking the remaining distance.

Bucky had sighed deeply, happily. He didn't mean to annoy Sam (not right that second, anyway) but this place and Sarah were contentment for him. He breathed in her happy face and breathed out everything else.

"Think sister," Sam had hissed while getting out of the truck. He'd said that before.

Bucky had rolled his eyes. Sarah wasn't his sister and he certainly didn't think of her that way. Still, she'd hugged Sam straight out, relieved to see him, and then done a weird side hug with him. Bucky would've let his arm linger there, she fit really well next to him, but Sam's glare sort of ruined the moment.

But today was 4th of July, and it was going to be different. Bucky was going to make it different.

The fireworks had started yesterday. Most people were saving their own fireworks for the evening of the 4th, but there'd been enough sporadic pops and booms last night to keep him on the bleeding edge of tense. He'd gotten a few hours of sleep, maybe. Now he was just waiting until a more acceptable time of the morning to get up and head to the store to buy food and fireworks. Sarah'd already gotten some fireworks for the boys, but he and Sam were planning to get some bigger ones to shoot off from the boat. Bucky was charged with buying them and getting them on the boat this morning without her or the boys finding out about the surprise.

Then he'd head over to the house with food and hang out with them while Sam spent the day in Houston for a Captain America event. Sam'd left yesterday, but promised to be back by dinner so they could eat and go out on the boat.

It was a lot easier to deal with a bad night when he had a great day to look forward to. His body had reacted to the pops with adrenaline and heightened awareness, but his mind had been at peace. He'd traced the floral patterns with his eyes and let his mind wander backwards and forwards to his and Sam's latest jobs, the last time he'd talked to Sarah, the plans for the 4th, the next time he'd talk to Sarah...