Letter 28

Not edited.

Toronto greeted Anne with a smile, in the form of warm weather. She had yet to visit in the earth and found herself much preferring it to her usual cold, raining, and wet days. She had arranged with Miss Emily to take up a room at her townhouse, and she was grateful that she would be somewhere familiar. As she walked briskly towards the door, she was half surprised to see a grinning Gilbert open the door. Pulling her in quickly he pressed a kiss on her lips.

"Hello miss", Anne noticed that he had not stopped smiling since she had walked in, and from the strain in her cheeks, neither had she.

"Have I missed something?" she asked following him into the sitting room.

"What, can a man not be happy to see his future wife?" he mumbled taking her bags to set them down. Anne knew Gilbert too well to know when he had good news to share. Holding her more sombre news from home she followed him ito the sittingroom with a firm grip of her tounge. "We are going to a gala tomorrow night" he added promptly. She watched his smile and couldn't help but mirror it herself. "And it is extremely important because a very important profedsor from the Sourbon will be in attendance and it is important that I impress him" he added.

Anne loved how contagious his smile was, even on the rainy, dark day. She took his wrough hand in hers and gave it a tight squeeze. "There are a galaxy of ways that you can impress him. I am certain on it". Gilbert felt calm for the first time today, his eyes glanced down at the engagement ring on her finger. It sat there for far longer than he would have liked, but it made him happy to see she had kept it safe for them.

"In the meanwhile Mr Blyth you are almost done with your studies. You have Prince Edward Island rooting for you, I wasn't able to leave without a herd of people expressing their support" It was hard for Anne to know how to support him at school, so it wad a relief that he was doing so well.

"And you dear Anne? You didn't write oftern" he added watchibg her tired eyes.

"Not as exciting news from Avonlea unfortunately. But lets not spoil our day with that. How about we go for a walk? I need to reaquaint myself with city life again?" She suggested seeing the rain had stopped. The cool air greeted them and Anne was excited to see how the fashions had changed so much. The shop windows greeted her curiosity as she gazed excitedly at the beautiful items. The puffy sleaves called to Anne as she gazed into the dressmaker. It has been so long since she she had bought herself a new dress.

"So I read a very interesting article in the paper the other week" Gilbert mumbled before they walke into an open tea shop. There was a soft buzz as he escorted her towards the window table, pulled out his sest before sitting down himself.

"Oh? Do tell?" Anne smiled before unclipping her hat to set it aside. In their time apart they had taken to sending each other newspaper clippings and funny little things. Anne also knew her most recent article about women working had been published. A neatly folded slip emerdged from his breast pocket and she smiled at rhe sight of her article. "I shant ever tier from seeing my words in print. How distinguished it looks" she smilef picking up the page to study it. She had already seen it before but it held a beautiful charecter with its worn corners and folds. It looked treasured and her words looked like they could out live her. Two plates of cakes and cups of tea were placed in front of them. Anne handed the paper back.

"You know Anne, we will have to talk about wedding preperations eventually you know?" Gilbert spurred after tucking the paper away. He knew her too well, Anne liked dreaming and imagining their future, she didnt like setting it to stone.

"I suppose" she mumbled blushing hard. "How would you feel about a small country wedding? Something small?" She asked again. She always imagine a big and grand affair as a child, but it seemed that as she grew older, she had nxuh rsther have a cozy snall occation with the people they held near and dear.

"Are you certain?" He asked watching her content face. A small occasion suited him best as well, but he never imagined that she would be content with it as well.

"Of course. A garden wedding breakfast and we can contact the church in Avonlea if you would like. I was told by Racheal Lynd that your parents wed there" Anne added at the end. Gilberts heart squeezed at rhe thought of it. What would his parents think of his Anne? "It would be nice that one of our parents could be with us. Besides we are starting something new together and Avonlea means so much to the both of us" Anne explained. It seemed that she had spent time thinking about this, it was a releif that she was as invested into their relationship as he was.

"Thank you. I am certain that my parents would have liked you. In all ernest you have been my support since the passing of my father. The one person that I feel is there for me" Anne felt her eyes beguin to swell at his words.

"But Gilbert. I was awful to you ad kids. I never apologied for it" she stated quickly. They had spoken about it so many times, but she never apologised for all that she did.

"Anne" his voice was stern. Almost as if he was telling off a child.

"But Gil." she paused for once not knowing the words. "You made me want to do better. In everything. And I so want to be perfect for you."

"We are perfect" he shrugged with a brimming smile. The two couldn't stop smiling as they finished their tea and went their separate ways. As Anne and Gilbert fell asleep on opposite side of the city, they fell asleep with full hearts and happy minds. It seemed lile nothing could stop them now.

The next chapter is... gonna be a fun one. Sorry for the delay. I just graduated from university, so had too many exams. I am back and excited to bring this story with a close. What do you think will happen in the next chapter?