Letter 2

SHIRLEY-CUTHBERT

The breakfast table was lined with happy chatter of the young girls as the enjoyed their morning porridge. As breakfast took place, the maid would bring in the letters. And each girl squealed happily as they would recive something special, some familes sent packages of preserved fruits from their trees or a new item of clothing.

Marilia had already sent Anne some of her cordial and a jar of plum jam. Along with many letters. Anne had even gotten a letter from Jerry who was trying to practice his English. He was getting quite good so Anne could tell that he had been practicing with the books she had left him. "None again Anne?" Diana whispered beside her.

Anne shook her head in disappointment. "Not one" she swallowed as she looked down at the one letter from Jerry. Setting it to the side, Anne let herself continue her breakfast. It had been three weeks since Gilbert left and she was beginning to think it had all been a dream. She had always known Gibert to be a man of his word, but she was beguinning to think that perhaps ge had found a new girl in Toronto. Or perhaps he realised his feelings might have been based on childish ideas.

One who was more beautiful and perhaps one without the red hair. "I am going to collect my books, excuse me" Anne smiled and collected her letter and departed. She hated feeling disappointed.

"Ah, Miss Anne another letter for you. I apologise miss, I must have overlooked it" the letter was placed in her hands. Annes heart stopped as she let out a sigh of releif. On looking up she smiled at Dianna who stood cautiously at the door. She didn't need to say another word but to rush to the privacy of her room, she opened the letter.

"Dearest Anne" she read. Her heart squeezed. She probably hadn't read a letter so fast, nor had she smiled to long. The letter ended as beautifully as it began and she smiled again at his closing. "Yours always, Gilbert Blyth. That you are Blyth, that you are".

"What did it say" "Was it a good letter Anne" "Why did you only get it now?" "Did he find someone else?" Before Anne stood a gaggle of eager girls. Anne slipped the letter away quickly and shrugged with a soft smile.

"Lets go, or we will be late" she added picking up her homework. On walking to their classes, Anne whispered to her friend what Gilbert had written, and of what she wanted to reply. So much had happened since and so she spent her day thinking of Gilbert instead of her studies.

Dearest Gilbert,

I suppose your letter must have taken a long time to reach me or that you were tediously  busy, yes that was a joke. Well, whatever it was I was do glad to hear from you and to hear that you have settled in so well.

It feels as if it has been years since you were here or at least of fells as if that is the case. But at least we can both trust our memories to remember that moment. Even now, I pinch mysef because this must all be a dream. Please say if it is.

That day happened so quickly, I was walking through town after hearing that Marillia and Mathew had found out where my parents lived. They had even found a book that my fatjee had given my mother, who was a teacher. Well, then I bumped into Winifred whom was on her way to London ss it seems. Well, I had throught that the two of you had plans to be wed but she told me that it wasn't to be. So I rushed back and I was about to get on a train back to Avonlea to find you, when you apeared infront of me as if knowing my thoughts.

Diana, informed me that she had told you about the letter I had written. And that you had in fact never found the letter. We had both written letters, and unfortunately  I was a fool to have ripped yours in anger. I thought you had come to tell me something completely different. And in seeing you and Winifred spend so much time together, it made it seem that I would never be good enough for you Gilbert Blyth. And in fact now, I truly believe no one t be truly worthy of you.

But I now do not regret those series of events, because ultimately it lead us together, having learnt some valuable lessons. I suspect Marilia will be very glad to hear me admit that. But I do believe that once our paths cross again, we will meet again in the sweet air of Avonlea. And we can look towards the future, another thing I have never done before, I might add.

I do want to add that it makes me so proud to see you reaching your dreams. I am hopeful that whatever you set your sights on you will achieve and I am truly beyond excited to see you accomplish them. So i will add in closing, as I am sure you have much to do. That I believe that it was Toronto that was not ready for you Gilbert Blyth.

Stay safe and hope to see you soon.

Yours affectionately,
Anne Shirley Cuthbert

"Miss Cuthbert, that question is for you" the teacher interrupted. Anne glanced at the teacher and composed herself. Thankfully she had heard the last part of the class and answered.

"In the globe theatre mamm" she replied. The woman nodded her head and continued teaching with a scowl on her face. Folding the letter she slipped it between the pages of the book and tried her hardest to focus her attention back to the class. That was her first time writing a letter to someone she felt affectionate towards, and whist having no idea what to say, she felt as if she had expressed exactly what she had wanted to say. And perhaps, she thought, it was wiser to start this - whatever this was - in letters as she found that writing was the best means of communicating her most truest thoughts. But it was strange to be talking about her own feelings for once, instead of those of her fictitious made-up characters.

Finally when the class ended she disappeared to the general goods to purchase some stamps and envelopes and sent the letter directly before returning home. It seemed pointless to wait to mail it as it would mean extending the wait for a response. Today the girls were to sit in the parlour whilst the maiton taught them embroidery and read verses of the bible. It was not the most inspiring time of day, but it was barrable in the fact that at least she could focus on something the slightest bit interesting. The days engagements also offered very little to list the mood of the disheartened and impatient red head.

"Mother and father have me to meet yet another suitor this week. That would be the sixth one since we arrived" Diana groaned on entering their shared room tossing the papers on her neat bed. "Did you reply to the letter?" She asked quickly watching Anne brush her hair. Diana needed any good news to ease that of what she had recovered herself.

"Yes, and I sent it right away. It is the most gruelling to have to wait a whole entire week for a letter don't you think, the shop assistant expected that it would on my arrive in a weeks time. There is so much to know Diana, and I shall have to wait to hear it" Anne groaned with her, placing herself next to Diana.

"Well it's better now that he has finally written to you Anne." She added rationally before joking, "besides, at least Gilbert has intelligent things to say, unlike the suitors I have had to meet. But at the least they are all beyond rich enough to please my parents I suppose" she laughed, Anne joined in looking down at the letter Diana's father had sent her.

"The last one was not half bad to look at" Anne added, folding the note. He was double the sight of anyone they had met from Avonlea.

"But he smelt like old cabbage" Diana shook her head dramatically in a Mini-May like fashion.

"You are being dramatic dear Diana. Keep your mind open, otherwise the proposed suitors will be older and worse. Your parents do not take me as the ones to take no for an answer" Anne added in a surprisingly calm manner. She suggested if her friend were to change her perspective on marriage, perhaps it would not be as dreadful a thought.

"I suppose you are right" Diana added "But you must be there whilst they visit, I will not make a fool of myself on my own" she added. Anne nodded and agreed. Somehow the evening flickered past and their strick curfew was set. It was made to be nearly impossible to be out lf bed after 10.

The long nights didn't seem to bother Anne Shirley Cuthbert, as she slipped Gilberts letter to safety below her pillow. Perhaps one of these days she would get too many to fit their. But for now it was comforting in the thought that it in fact was not all a dream.