Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

There was a small line of people at the front, ordering their cream. I nearly walked in front of them to get to the man working, but Xavion grabbed my arm and dragged me to one of the tables.

"Sit here. I'll get the ice cream."

I nearly protested, but he went off to order without me. I rolled my eyes, set my head on my hands, and waited. It took forever, but eventually he returned with two fun edible cones of oh-so sinful ice cream. One of them looked exactly like the Peanut Blast. I snatched it out of his hand and started to eat it before he even sat down.

He rolled his eyes and sat, taking a single lick of his ice cream.

I bit into mine, hissing as it froze my teeth.

We fell into a conversation, nothing special. I was staring at his eyes, trying to catch a glimpse of the black orbs behind the blue contacts, when they suddenly flickered over me. A brief flash of disbelief flickered through his eyes, quickly morphing into horror. I watched, confused, as he composed himself. "Alright, I think we should head back." He concluded.

I frowned, glancing behind me. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The ice cream place wasn't particularly crowded, and no one from outside the window looked suspicious. I swiveled back to Xavion. "I'm not done with my ice cream," I complained.

He shrugged and stood up, latching onto my elbow and tugging me. "You can finish it on the walk." He urged.

I narrowed my eyes. "You're the one who dragged me out here in the first place." I looked back to the area, trying to see what got him worried. "What is it?"

"Literally nothing." He hissed. An obvious lie. If he had a soul, it would have definitely darkened.

He tugged me again, this time successfully pulling me up from my seat. I gripped my ice cream securely, careful not to accidentally drop it. He placed his hands on my shoulder and began to all but push me out of the ice cream shop.

I also didn't fail to notice when he ducked his head into my neck, most likely hiding his face. I wanted to be mad and question him, but I was suddenly hyper-aware of his breath on my neck. Then I was hyper-aware that I was being shoved behind a dumpster.

"Xavion, what that--"

"Sh!" he hushed me, crouching in front of me. "Shut up, I swear to fuck. Don't move, don't make a single sound, don't breathe too loud. Stop existing for a second if you can." He hissed.

I blinked in surprise. "Can I eat my ice cream?"

His jaw ticked. "Quietly."

He got up and started speed walking in the direction we just came from. A distance away, I heard him yell, "Ceilsea! What are you doing here?" in a friendly, surprised-sounding voice.

"Xavion! I've been looking for you!" Came a pretty voice. "Are you busy today? I thought we might be able to hang out." I slowly licked my ice cream, listening and trying to tie together what was happening. Ceilsea was coming to hang out with Xavion today.

Xavion let out a fake laugh. "You know that's against the rules."

What rules? Is their meeting today forbidden? What a plot twist! I slowly crunched one of the peanut chunks between my teeth.

"As if we ever cared about those." The feminine voice scoffed. "Well~ I just remembered how boring my required time was. It's such a chore." The voice sighed.

Xavion chuckled, a real-sounding one this time. "You didn't even come back with a soul."

He's talking about souls with her. Is Ceilsea a demon?