Chapter 1

Recap:

She pulls the thin sheet over her body, trying to stop her shivering from the cold autumn air coming through the cracks in her window before closing her eyes, trying to sleep and block the sound of Mike screaming at someone on the phone downstairs.

06:30 am. Louis' alarm blares through his and Harry's shared bedroom. It was the first day back at school after the six-week summer holiday break and Louis was going to meet his new Year 1 class, who he would teach for the next year. He rolled over to hit the snooze button and then cuddled back into Harry, bringing the covers up tight to his neck as the cold September morning made him shiver from the small movement.

Harry stirred, turning over to face Louis and began threading his fingers through Louis' hair. "y'gotta get up, Lou. It's school t'day", he said, his voice deep and croaky from sleep.

Louis hummed in response, "it's too cold t'get up".

Harry chuckled at his husband's response and pulled the duvet cover away from them both and chucked it on the floor, much to Louis' dismay.

"what the fuck Haz" he exclaimed. Quickly sitting up, glaring at Harry and tucking his hands under his arms to try and keep his bare torso warm.

Harry stood up, laughing at how grumpy Louis was when being woken up and turned on the bedside lamp, giving the dark room a warm orange glow; it was too early for the sun to be up to give them natural light. "c'mon babe! You get to meet your new class today! Don't you want to be there early to set their things up?" he said, walking into their en-suite to freshen up. Harry didn't necessarily need to be up this early, he was working from home and had online meetings in the afternoon, but he wanted to help his husband out seeing as it was the first day back at school for all his boys and getting back into that hectic morning routine was not easy. Especially since Louis is definitely not a morning person.

Louis followed him into the bathroom and they both began to get themselves ready. Louis chose his outfit which consisted of a pair of black trousers with a pale blue shirt which he cuffed the sleeves on. Harry just threw on some joggers and a hoodie, not needing to look so formal.

Once they both were dressed, Louis made his way downstairs to make breakfast and sort his bags out whilst Harry went to make sure the boys were up and getting ready.

Harry knocked on Liam's door first, knowing the boy would most probably be up already being the more "school-lover" out of the kids. After getting a response to enter he opened the door and was greeted by a freshly showered Liam clad in just his school trousers, his hair damp and rummaging through his wardrobe to find his shirt and tie.

"mornin' Li, just checking you're up for school" Harry said, still standing in the doorway.

Liam smiled at his dad before pulling out a white shirt and beginning to put it on and button it up. "morning dad. I had my alarm set so I could be up a bit earlier. I'm excited for Year 12!" He replied.

Harry smiled fondly at his eldest son, "it will be a great year for you Li. Hard-work with starting your A-Levels though!".

Liam groaned at the mention of A-Levels, but both he and Harry knew he would have no trouble with the harder work. He began to put on his tie before Harry spoke up again. "Anyway, Papa's making breakfast today so I wouldn't expect anything more exciting than toast. I've got to go and get Niall out of bed as I haven't heard any movement from him yet".

Liam nodded and continued his morning routine as Harry shut the door and made his way over to Niall's room, knocking on the door but was greeted with no reply. Harry slowly opened the door before stepping in, seeing just a tuft of blonde hair sticking up from under the covers. He walked over to the side of the bed where Niall was before gently sitting down on the edge and pulling back the covers to see his youngest son's face.