"That's none of your business," I reply, before remembering why I'm here. "Elena and Stefan drank werewolf venom at Rebekah's party tonight. I was just going to ask Klaus to give them his blood, but... well, paradise and all that."

He pushes off the wall, "What the hell? Why not?"

"Let me answer your question with a question: Why the hell should I care what happens to Stefan and Elena?"

Adalynn places a hand on my arm in warning, but I shake it off. My magic jumps inside of me in excitement as my temper flares, but I don't bother to dwell it.

"Damon will never forgive you," he growls. "Call Klaus right now and tell him—"

"We're done here, Adalynn," I interrupt him. "Let's go home."

-----------

The trees tower over us as the fire rises. Lightening cracks above us, but I hold the cauldron steady.

"Are you ready?"

My eyes meet Alexander's piercing gray ones. He's concerned about what will happen. I cannot blame him.

A single nod assures him, though it's only so effective. He joins the other four men in surrounding me and soon I begin the chant.

As my words dance around us, I raise the cauldron to the sky. A bolt of lightning strikes it, completing the spell.

I lower the pot of fire down to the ground and pour the contents before me. It spreads on its own accord, creating distinct pathways to each man's sword. They hold them steady as the fire finds them. Black ink runs up their arms and chests.

"It is time," I whisper, facing Alexander again. "Let this be the beginning of the end."

"So, it shall," he bows to me, delaying the inevitable.

I spread my arms and look to the sky. My eyes close tightly to shield me from the final sword that pierces my chest.

I scream myself awake.

Strong arms try to disrupt my thrashing, but my magic instinctively fights back.

"Clara!" I hear as my eyes flutter open.

My daughter comes into view. Her hands are raised slightly as if to steady me. My heart beats rapidly with fear even though I've finally awoken, and I worry for a moment that it will never stop.

"What happened?" I ask hurriedly, "Adalynn, what happened?"

I try to look around her, but she blocks my view. Her frail hands feel my sweat-stricken face worriedly.

"The fever is back. It seems to be sleep induced," she diagnoses.

"Can you help her?"

It's Klaus's voice, but I still can't see him. We're in the foyer, though I don't remember how I got here.

One thing is for certain though; he's in pain. I pull Adalynn's arms gently to move her out of the way. It doesn't take much fighting to finally clear my view.

He is knelt on the ground in front of the fire, obviously succumb to the pain inflicted on him. At first, I thought I might have just electrocuted him or something along those lines, but what I see is much more concerning.

A fire poker is lodged in his shoulder and another in his chest. He pulls the second one out as I finally lay eyes on him. His grunts of pain make me wince and I close my eyes to block it out.

But the fire returns and I hurriedly blink them open again.

"What happened?"

Adalynn takes ahold of my hand when she notices it shaking, "You've been in and out since we've been back. You were tired."