chapter 24: did you just say mum is home?

Start from the beginning

She knew these storms were the reminder of the power of nature and the elements. Lorelei was amazed by the electric buzz in the air and the taste of oncoming danger while others feared their own powerlessness in comparison. However, to witness another powerful thing should not diminish your own sense of power, for there is not a finite amount of strength and kindness in the world. It is the same with power.

Before long, Lorelei and Gran made it to their small home just outside the city in a quiet neighborhood. Lorelei stopped in the driveway and looked up at the smaller willow tree in their backyard that was just barely visible to her from where she stood. Even if the transition between home and Hogwarts was difficult sometimes, Lorelei knew the beautiful willow trees in both places were her constant.

Lorelei picked up her duffel bag and her trunk and lugged herself inside after Gran. As the door was opening, Lorelei caught a flash of dark blonde hair as her mum hurried past and into the kitchen. They stepped into the house, and Lorelei embraced the warm scents of freshly baked bread and sugar cookies that she had long ago associated with home.

Lorelei set her things down in the foyer and walked into the kitchen with cautious steps. She peeked her head around the corner and couldn't help her grin when she saw her mum tugging a pan of chocolate chip cookies out of the oven. It looks like Gran had put them in when she left, and now they were done. Just in time.

However, as much as she loved those cookies, Lorelei was much more interested in the person holding them.

"Mum!" Lorelei beamed and lurched forward. Lorelei's mum had just enough time to set the tray onto the stovetop before her daughter practically jumped on her and engulfed her in an overly enthusiastic hug.

"Hi, Leilee," her mum said, saying Lorelei's childhood nickname and bringing tears to her blue eyes.

"Mum, I've missed you so much!" Lorelei said and held onto her mum as tight as she could. Maybe if she made it clear to her mum how much she missed her, she wouldn't lose her this time. Maybe if she just held on tighter, her mum wouldn't drift away again.

Nevertheless, Lorelei's mum pushed her back by her shoulders and chuckled, "Leilee, I have to check these cookies. Why don't you put your things away? We've got reservations at a restaurant in town later."

Lorelei took a couple steps backward and pasted a bright smile onto her face. She nodded enthusiastically and rushed back into the foyer and ignored her Gran's concerned expression.

Gran started, "Lorelei-"

"Oh, I'll be right back. I just need to change into something nice for dinner. I'll be right back," Lorelei cut her off with rambling words and limited eye contact. Lorelei swooped up her duffel bag and her trunk and stumbled down the hallway at an alarmingly fast rate.

As soon as Lorelei got into her bedroom down the hall, she dumped her things onto her bed, shut her bedroom room, and fell back against it with a loud sigh. She blinked her watery eyes and then flung open her trunk in hopes of finding her pink dress. Once she located it, she began to absentmindedly get dressed in the same way she did at school.

She slipped off her top and tossed it into the white and pale yellow hamper in the corner of her room. She tugged her dress up her legs before she slid her jeans off underneath, never allowing her bare legs to show, should anyone walk in on her. She then slipped the sleeves onto her arms and reached back to zip herself into it. Then she checked twice to make sure that her legs were completely covered by the long dress. It wasn't that she was worried her Gran and mum would see her legs, but horror filled her chest at the thought of anyone else ever seeing them.

Standing in front of her mirror, Lorelei gently lifted the hem of her dress up to uncover part of her legs, and she chewed on her cheek at the sight. Lorelei hardly even could remember the accident that took her father, but the scars she was left with would surely remind her what happened every day for the rest of her life.

A sudden bang made Lorelei flinch and drop her dress. She flung herself towards the door and ran down the hall with silent steps and her hands closed into fists. She made it to the doorway of the kitchen when she heard the yelling more clearly.

"I'm trying, but you always act like I'm such a monster to her!" Lorelei's mum yelled and slammed a pan down on the counter.

"You aren't really trying, and you know it. She needs your support. You're her mother for goodness' sake!" Gran argued in a much quieter tone, so Lorelei had to strain to hear.

"Well, I never wanted to be her mother anyway! I never should have let Todd convince me otherwise. I should have known he would get in a bloody car accident and leave me with her!"

Lorelei couldn't conceal her cries any longer. She pushed out of the house, and the sticky air started to get washed away with the down pouring of the heavens. She made it to the willow tree and hid under its branches, listening to the thunder crackling in the distance and not knowing when it was time to run.

//