Exploring the Neighbourhood

Chapter 2

Tuesday and Wednesday both passed with no word from Andy's new acquaintance. So she focused on unpacking. I didn't even ask his name, she thought. Maybe he thought I had no interest in knowing. Then again, I did invite him over to hang out sometime. I just forgot...I was nervous. The truth was, he scared her. His cute, unusual reactions...the way he handled himself...his extensive vocabulary...and okay, even his smart-ass remarks. She began to wonder if he had, indeed, only needed her name for an emergency. Or maybe he was just as shy and awkward when it came to talking to the opposite sex as she was.

Wednesday night was quiet and a bit too boring, so she decided she would go explore the neighborhood. Maybe even go somewhere for a drink...and maybe some dessert. Andy decided to wear something other than her usual graphic tee, striped sweater, or jeans with holes. So she threw on some tights and a little dress, grabbed her bag, and left to go find somewhere to go...even if she was, sadly, alone.

It was around 9 pm when she had walked by The Cheesecake Factory and quickly turned around – alcohol and cheesecake sounded more than perfect. She found herself sitting at the bar when a cute blonde asked her what she'd like.

“A Captain and coke, please...double,” she replied...her usual reply to any bartender. After a drink or two, Andy decided she'd make small talk with this girl...maybe she was cool.

“So do you live around here?” she asked.

“Yeah, I do, actually. I live on Los Robles in an apartment complex...across the hall from some crazy scientist nerds,” she said with a little laugh.

Andy smiled, nodded, and then remembered her new address.

“Wait. Los Robles? You're kidding me? I just moved into the apartment in 3A a couple of days ago.”

“No way! Small world,” Penny jokes and can't help herself but to continue - “So..you're Andy then? I mean, not to be creepy or anything. I just heard Sheldon mention he met the new girl moving in downstairs and that her name was Andy. I'm Penny!”

Sheldon. His name is Sheldon. And he said something about me. The thought brought a small smile to Andy's face, yet made her nervous once she realized that what he said could have been something negative.

“You know, it was weird. You don't get nice comments out of Sheldon much, but he told Leonard you had surprisingly great taste in movies and video games. Oh. And that you owned light saber chopsticks or something? Leonard is his roommate, by the way. Leonard and I've been dating for a while...even though it's kind of been on again, off again. You know how that goes.” Penny said in her usual friendly and energetic voice.

Andy nodded. “I definitely can understand that. I suppose you could say I moved here to run away from something similar. That's cute, though. And it's nice to meet you, Penny. I'm Andy...but you already know that...”

Penny smiled and mixed her another drink while she tried to keep the conversation going.

“I'm surprised Sheldon didn't say I was a freak or anything. Especially after tripping and spilling my movies and xbox games everywhere. I'm sure the first impression of his new neighbor wasn't the greatest.”