xxxv

social batteries

❏❏❏

CAT and Marlene were currently the centers of attention. Well, Marlene was, Cat was standing by, cheering her on. Marlene was up on the table singing and dancing to Dancing Queen. "Cat!" she exclaimed throwing her hands up as the song was being changed. "Dance with me!" Marlene started swinging her hips to the music, trying to get Cat to climb atop the table.

"I'm good from down here," Cat declined her offer.

"Come ooooon," she whined. "Have fun."

"I'm having quite a lot of fun down here, where I can't fall," Cat declined, again.

"You're scared of falling?" someone appeared at her shoulder. She turned and Sirius was standing there, tie tied around his forehead with a drink in his hand. "Weren't you the one who jumped out a window last year?"

"I'm a matured woman now, Sirius," Cat said. "Why aren't you out dancing?"

"I can't find my boyfriend, or yours, for that matter," Sirius said, standing on his tip-toes to see over the crowd.

"When did you see them last?" Cat asked.

"Moony, like, 30 seconds ago. He just disappeared. Prongs, an hour maybe more."

Cat joined Sirius in looking around the crowd before spotting one of the missing. He just so happened to be standing a few feet behind Sirius. "Hey Rey," Cat said. Sirius turned around and slung an arm around Remus.

"Moony! I lost you!"

"Pads, I told you I was getting another drink," Remus told him, fondly rolling his eyes. "James is looking for you," he turned to Cat.

"I haven't seen him since we got here," Cat said to herself, looking around. As she turned back around, Remus and Sirius were gone into the crowd. "Marlene! I'll be back, don't fall!" Cat yelled over the music

"I'll watch her," Dorcas said, emerging from the crowd.

"Hey, I didn't know you were here," Cat said, hugging Dorcas.

"Just got here," she said. Dorcas looked up at Marlene dancing to whatever random song was on. "I can't leave her for a few hours, can I," Doras muttered to herself as Cat slipped out of the crowd, starting her search for James.

Luckily for her, the search only lasted about 2 minutes until she found James sitting on an armchair by the door. He looked utterly miserable until he saw Cat in which he perked up. "What are you doing over here all alone?" Cat asked as she made her way to James, him meeting her in the middle.