Chapter 22

March 31, 2027
CIA Academy of Espionage
1300 hours

Erica's POV

I walked through the entrance into the main building of the school. The students were all on spring break, which was later than usual this year.

I walked through the main hall, a flood of memories coming back to me. Sitting in the mess, eating by myself with a book in my face. I was so antisocial. I still am. Only not to certain people.

I remember when Ben would always stare at me for no reason. I found it curious that a boy would have enough courage to look at me, let alone him, but hey, life is full of surprises.

I kept walking down the hall towards the main stairs. I passed the Combat class, the Self Preservation Class, a storage lab with various chemicals, and even a janitor's closet.

I made it to the stairs and went straight up to my 6th room dorm, or what was left of it. The hike to the top floor was long, but I was Erica Hale, so it didn't make that much of a difference. I made it to my room and jimmied the lock. Before opening, I checked for booby traps, but there was not any.

It open with a sprang and I strode in. It looked the same as I left it, except with different things on the walls and bedsheets that weren't mine. I went over to the bed and pushed it aside, revealing the floor. I pushed on a section of it and it opened with a hiss.

I reached down into the little cubby that was revealed and grabbed an envelope, a USB stick, and a small package. Right as I had left it. I put the floor back in place as well as the bed, and left the students room, locking the door again.

I went over to the Nathan Hale Administration Building, where I went up to the principal's office (he know had a proper office again). I went to his computer and plugged the USB drive in, decoding it within seconds.

Welcome, Erica Hale.

Current Objectives: SPYDER, SNOW, MH, MOLES
Status Report: N/A

I went to remove SPYDER and SNOW, leaving the other two there. I updated the mission reports on the two defeated ones, then let the device scan for any news on my new targets.

*1 new message*

MH: 1 search found within CIA database

Would you like to read it?

I clicked yes.

MH progress is bare. Seems as if this does not exist. Have heard a few tidbits here and there, but nothing concrete. Still working on trying to find out where to go next.

Chip

I sighed. I plucked the USB from the computer and erased the history, cookies, and browser data from it as well. I left the building and went to get in my car.

Ben's POV

I sat down in my house watching the news with Emma. She was sitting in my lap and we were watching the cover up story for what happened in New York. "Gas pipe deemed dangerous" they said.

The CIA had managed to collect 3 other individuals, and they had all given up information on the main headquarters. The CIA had raided it, and subsequently took many others hostage as well as disband SNOW. I was happy it was not me.

The debriefings with others had gone on for a while. Me and Erica adamantly told the same story over and over, to people who were asking. It had taken over 3 days, but we were finally cleared. We headed straight back home, trying to find peace.

Erica said she had some things to attend to, so she was out. Emma seemed happy enough with me. She was still drinking from her baby bottle, and I was giving her chunks of apples.

Erica came through the door right then. She took off her shoes and came over.

"Hi babe," I said.

"Hey Ben," she said back, kissing me on the head.
"Hi there little Hale." Emma waved back at her.

I was astonished.

"What the" I said.

"It's a mom thing," she said, laughing. She went into the kitchen.

"Never thought I would see you be a mom," I yelled at her.

"Well, who's fault is that?" She said back to me. I put Emma down and went over to the kitchen.

She was looking in the fridge for some salad. I stepped in front of her.

"We both know you liked it," I said.

She looked at me.

"So what if I did," she said, trying to act annoyed, but I called her bluff.

I kissed her.

"I love you, Erica," I whispered in her ear.

"I love you too, Ben." I held onto her, enjoying how amazing she smelt, as usual.

I let go and went back to the couch where Emma was sitting.

"What is little girl doing right now?" I asked, picking her up. She started laughing. I flew her around like an airplane, which she seemed to like.

Erica came over with a salad in a bowl. She sat next to me and I let Emma sit in the middle. I wrapped my arm around her.

"What did you go out to do?" I asked.

"I had to get something for you, something I've been wanting to give."

"Let's see it."

She pulled out a little package from her jacket. I saw a letter too, but I didn't really care.

I opened the package that she had given to me. There was a silver necklace inside, and an E with a heart around it.

"I thought you'd like it," she said timidly.

"I don't."

"What?"

"I love it," I said, smiling at her. I put it on with the help of Erica, and then squeezed her.

"You're the best wife ever," I said.

"I know I am," she said. "You're a pretty good husband."

"Awww, you flatter me," I said jokingly.

Erica snuggled into my arms and let her warmth blanket me too, like a human ball of heat. Emma was done her bottle and was now scratching at Erica.

"That must get annoying," I said, sighing as I took the bottle.

"It doesn't matter when you love someone enough," she said happily. "And I love you two very much."

Only the epilogue left and this book is completed :)).