Chapter-2 Ceci

Brandon

I was absolutely horrified. Never, did I ever expect in my wildest dreams that I would find "Serendipity" on the table of a football captain out here in San Francisco. What was he even doing with that, anyway?

I knew Jack Wood from the video calls we had to discuss about me attending Jayville High. He was a laid-back, easy going, typical American guy. In most his calls he told me how to best avoid the grumpy teachers, annoying cheerleaders and the likes. He didn't come across a guy who would read poetry. Now, I am not one to judge. But he definitely didn't seem like the one to read fantasy poetry written by a teenager. Not that those who read "Serendipity" knew I was a teenager. Still, Jack and Serendipity did not fit.

My reverie was interrupted with a ping from none other than Jack himself. Like they say, speak of the devil.

Picking up, I said "Hey mate, what's up?".

"Hey there Brandon. I had a question for you."

Uh-oh. Question? What question? Was he going to ask me about the book and that idiotic dare?

"Yeah?"

"Would you like to come over today at 4? I'd like you to meet my friends. The more people you get to know, the easier it'll be to adjust to Jayville."

Oh. So, he wanted me to come over and meet some other sport players. This was not about Serendipity at all then. I couldn't see why I would say no.

"Yeah, sure. I'll be there".

Brienna

"Bree and Jack, lovely to see you here. Now what do I hear about this challenge?" said Ceci entering.

"Nothing Ceci, it was just about a Lego marathon" I said giving Jack a "shut-the-hell-up-or-you're-dead" look.

"A Lego marathon?" she said dropping her bag on the sofa.

"Yes" I replied. "So, what did you buy today Ceci?".

"Yeah Ceci, which store did you plunder today?" asks Jack laughing.

"Oh Jackadoodle-doo, I won't be laughing if I were you. Senior year starts tomorrow and I heard you wanted to be the football captain? Principal Retry certainly doesn't make boys who vandalize girls' lockers, captain, does he now?" Ceci said with that innocent smile that we knew meant trouble.

"Vandalize? Me? When?" Jack said in apparent confusion.

Ceci glances at me. I could practically see her waiting to laugh. We only lasted 3 seconds and then burst out laughing.

"What is going on? Why are you laughing? And when did I vandalize a locker Cee?" Jack asked looking around, clueless that he had sent a bomb ticking.

Ceci rose up, and silently went up to Jack. "Uh-oh" I muttered.

"Jack Louis Wood, how dare you call me 'Cee'?" she roared.

"I-uh-well" Jack stammered grabbing a pillow and hiding behind it. It was a ridiculous sight to be honest. The pillow didn't even cover a quarter of his body.

'Cee' brought out painful memories of her recent friendship breakup. Her ex-friend, Madeline Goslie, had changed towns, got distanced and let Ceci down. That girl had the nerve to call Ceci 'A bad human'. Who even does that? Idiocy has its limits.

Ceci stormed off to Jack room locking herself in. Jack was shocked. "I forgot. I forgot we weren't supposed to call her that" he said miserably looking at the ground.

"It's alright Jack, I'll go get her. Then you apologize, okay?" I said getting up.

Knocking on the door I said "Ceci? Ceci, it's me, open up".

The door opened slowly. I could hear her sobbing "Oh Ceci" I said hugging her.

"Why Brienna? Why did she abandon me? Was I really a 'bad human'?" she asked between sobs.

"No Ceci, you are a brilliant human being. It's her loss. She'll regret it someday. She'll regret losing you" I said rubbing her back.

"Bree, I shouldn't have shouted at Jack. You both have always been kind to me. Hell, you accepted me as a friend when Madeline left me. I am so sorry." She said drying her eyes.

"Ceci, no, stop. You do not need to apologize to us. Do you know I puked all over Jack in 3rd grade? And I never apologized. And he stole my fairy dress and made a fort for his Lego knight with it. And that buffoon, of course, didn't apologize. She laughed. You're one of us now Ceci. Now channel up your inner Veronica Lodge. Let's tell Jack this was all a prank?

Ceci's eyes gleamed. I could practically see the clogs turning in her mind. "Yes, that sounds brilliant. But before we do that, Brienna, did you hear about the new British guy coming to school? Rumors say he's H-O-T."

"Oh yes. I heard about him". A bit too obnoxiously, I thought to myself.

"Well, I think we need you and him together, don't we?" she said slyly.

"Ceci, no. I am perfectly happy as I am".

"Ahh you can't be too sure about that" she said walking out.

"Jack! Call that student exchange of yours to come over at 4 today and consider yourself forgiven" she said grinning at me.