A Fight in the Ring

Start from the beginning

That night at dinner you sat across from Minho to give him the scoop on Newt's fast recovery. He seemed to be paying attention until his eyes caught something more interesting behind you. You paused your story about how good Newt had been walking to turn and look at what Minho had been so intrigued by at the table behind you.

A spoonful of mashed potatoes splattered on your face and slid down onto your shoulder.

The table behind you burst into laughter. Gally proudly held up his spoon while one of his crew members patted him on the back. You wiped the mashed potatoes off your shoulder and faced forward, your lips pressed in a tight line to prevent you from yelling. Minho covered his mouth to stifle a giggle. This earned him a swift kick in the shin under the wooden table between you.

On your own plate, your untouched mashed potatoes seemed to shine at you as you came up with an idea. You slyly grabbed a handful, hoping no one would notice except Minho whose face turned serious at your odd action.

He leaned forward across the table slightly to whisper at you. "Don't start a food fight, slinthead."

"I'm not going to throw it." You winked at him then stood up and tapped Gally on the shoulder.

He looked you up and down with a smirk. "Got something on your shoulder there, Nurse Y/N."

You tried to keep a calm demeanor. "Can I speak with you a moment, Captain Gally?"

You nodded your head toward the less crowded section of the dining area. His crew hollered at him like he was about to get him trouble. Gally stood up from the table and left his friends with a cheeky smile to follow you. Once far enough away, you stopped and stood right in front of him, the mashed potatoes feeling even slimmer in your hand because of the nervous sweat. The whole dining area seemed to go quiet in an attempt to hear your conversation.

"What's this about? Can't take a joke?" Gally taunted you and crossed his arms over his broad chest.

"Can you?" As quick as you could, you pulled on the front of his pants with your free hand and dropped the mashed potatoes into them with your other. The gladers went wild, yelling and banging on the tables.

Gally seemed frozen in time until his face contorted to an angry glare that was so intense you feared it would tear through you. His voice was eerily calm. "I'm going to kill you."

You yelped and started running as fast as you could, out of the well-lit dining area, across the field, past the box. Soon the only light you had to see where you were going was coming from the moon, but you had to keep running. Gally was dangerously close and still yelling profanities like, "You shank!" and "You're gonna wish you were fucking dead ya slinthead!"

The whole Glade had stopped eating to watch the chase and cheer on either side. You soon came up along the wall and ran out of space to run. You turned around and dodged Gally to start running back toward the glow of the camp. It was easy to get around him when he was in a state like this. Sure, the rage made him scarier once caught, but it also blinded him in his actions. He didn't know when to strike and catch you, resembling a drunk bear.

As you approached the north side of the Glade, you could see Newt standing at his window in the Homestead to find out what the commotion was about. . . The Homestead. Perfect! You could run up the stairs and lock your door. The entire building shook as you barreled into it at full speed, leaving the door swinging open with so much force that it hit the wall and began to close itself. You made it halfway up the rickety staircase before Gally barged through the front door behind you.

"Don't think you can just hide from me, ya shank!"

You playfully screamed and sprinted up the stairs, your thighs burning. Gally harshly ran up them, making the picture frames shake on the walls. You reached for your doorknob, but it wouldn't budge or twist like someone on the other side had been holding it shut.