𝟬𝟬𝟳 song of the heart

Call her daft, but Thalia is not exactly ready to return back to Os Alta.

The information had come to them this morning, after a First Army soldier returned back to camp last night and informed them that there had been an attack launched against Alina Starkov. After that, the remaining Grisha had been instructed to pack up their things and prepare for the trip back to Os Alta. Alina was to be presented to the King Pyotr and Queen Tatiana, and they were to be in attendance.

Before, this would have been fabulous news to Thalia. She might've jumped for joy at the impending return. But now, she is filled with a sense of dread. She has never returned to the Little Palace without Zaria glued to her side. Even when she went out on her own, Zaria always met her by the front gate.

It felt like treachery to be going back without her.

It is, Zaria sneered, next to her. It should be me returning, not you.

Thalia wants to scream that she knows. She knows it should be her. But it's not, and she can't change that; no matter how much she wishes she could.

Upon her arrival at the Little Palace, Thalia has been set the task of clearing out Zaria's things from the Durast quarters. It is not a task she is looking forward to, but it is apparent to everyone that Thalia was the closest to Zaria, meaning she is the most fit to determine what defects must be returned to her family and what must be doled out to other people accordingly.

A task she is not looking forward to, yes, but one suited only to Thalia.

On the bright side (it's been really hard to find the bright side lately, let her have this) since she is returning to Os Alta, Thalia will officially be clear of Mal. He won't have to be near her for any longer, and it will be better in the end for both of them.

   "Thalia?" Zoya's voice comes quietly, snapping Thalia from her daydream. Zoya smiles warily, wandering into the tent. "Berezvosky said we're getting ready to leave, so I was to come and make sure everyone was ready."

   "Already?" Thalia asks, muddled. She hadn't realised that time had gone by so quickly. When Zoya nods, she sighs defeatedly. "Okay, just give me a minute or two. I have to gather the rest of Zaria's stuff."

Zoya gives her another nod as Thalia begins to pack up the rest of Zaria's belongings and makes to leave. Once she sees the girl drop to the floor, Zoya pauses, unable to stop herself, "Do you want a hand?" Thalia hums, her hearing compromised from beneath the bed. Zoya takes the hum as a yes, dropping to the floor beside her and peeking under the bed. "Why are we looking under here?"

"She's got a nasty habit of--" Thalia pauses, and Zoya sees her take a deep breath and steady herself. "She had a nasty habit of just kicking her stuff beneath the bed when she couldn't be bothered putting it away somewhere."

The snort Zoya lets out is involuntary, and she turns her wry smile to Thalia. "Did she really? She gave me smack for forgetting to hang up my Kefta once and never let me forget it."

Thalia smiles fondly, pausing her searching to cast an amused look at Zoya, "Sounds like her." An awkward silence falls over them. Thalia coughs loudly, pulling her bottom lip into her mouth. "Sorry I'm not much fun to be around, just. . . processing, y'know."

   "It's okay," Zoya assures. "It's a process. If it's any consolation, I think that I'll. . . miss her too."

Thalia suspires a heavy sigh, turning her head to Zoya again, "Is it silly that I miss her already? She's barely been gone a day and it feels like a lifetime."

   "There isn't a time limit on these things," Zoya advises. "It's like. . . have you ever been stabbed?"

   "Not that I recall."