03 | early thoughts

Start from the beginning

"Your guess is as good as mine." Razhai shrugs her muscular shoulders. She observes Ivan with curious crimson eyes. "No offense, but you don't seem like the type who likes fighting. What's someone like you doing in a place like this?"

"I'm here for my parents." Ivan shifts in their seat, gaze flickering to the ground. "They won't admit it, but they've always struggled with money. If I win, they'll be set for life."

"Sounds like your parents and I are in the same boat," Samuel remarks. "I need money to move out and get an apartment, ASAP."

"What's wrong with the home you've got?" Razhai asks. Beside Samuel, Ray cocks their head, fixing them with an inquisitive look.

Samuel's face darkens a little. "Home's not the best place for me and Noodle." They gesture to the little snake, who's currently relaxing on their shoulder. Ray nods with understanding, their expression sympathetic as they reach out and give Samuel a comforting pat on the back. Samuel flashes them a grateful look.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Guilt is evident on Razhai's face. "I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject..."

"No, it's okay. You didn't know." Samuel musters a weak grin. "I, um...noticed you've been staring at Noodle, by the way. You can pet him if you want."

"Really?" The master of time looks to Samuel timidly. "You're sure?"

"Of course. He loves attention."

Opening their palm, Samuel releases a tiny gust of wind, just strong enough to lift Noodle into the air and carry him across the table. The little snake lands gently in Razhai's outstretched hands, and she gives him a tentative stroke on the head with one finger. He coils around her fingers and flicks his tongue happily at her, making her giggle. Ivan, Ray, and Samuel can't help but smile.

On the other side of the Chow House, Kai and Cole sit across from Rain and Katlain. The masters of fire, animals, and earth converse casually, while the master of illusions nibbles on an egg roll, content to observe them rather intently.

"So, uh..." Kai directs his attention to Rain's animal features, "...are those real?"

Cole elbows him sharply in the side, earning an indignant squawk. "Dude! You can't just ask people if their body parts are real!"

Rain's fangs glint as she laughs. "It's okay, I don't mind. And yes, they're real. I'm part wolf and eagle."

"How exactly did that happen?"

"Kai!"

Rain shrugs. "Best not to think about it."

Katlain leans forward slightly, looking intrigued. "So you can fly?"

"Mhm. It's not all I can do, but it helps."

"Interesting. What else can you—?"

Rain's digging into her plate before she can finish her question, scarfing it down more than a little hungrily.

"Wow, you're really wolfing that down," Kai remarks. Rain shoots him a look. "Uh, wait, I mean—"

"Smooth." The wolf-eagle snorts, looking slightly embarrassed. "Sorry, my table manners aren't great. Guess that's the animal in me."

"That's okay. Neither are Cole's, and he's completely human."

"Hey!"

"He does snore like an animal, though."

"Hey!"

"So, Master of Illusion?" Kai asks, turning his attention to Katlain instead of a very offended Cole. "How does that work? Can you, like, make people see stuff?"