09 | maze runners

- Art by OSiSO on Amino -

"The Green Ninja versus the Master of Crystal."

"What?" Kira gawks at Clouse, starting to tremble. "B-but our match isn't until tomorrow!"

"It's midnight, meaning it's already tomorrow," the sorcerer responds. "And you were never told when tomorrow you would be competing."

"Cut the crap! We know what you're doing, and it won't work!" Lloyd glowers at him. "We're not gonna fight each other. You can't make us!"

"Lloyd!" Garmadon grips him firmly by the shoulder and yanks him back. "Control your emotions, not the other way around!"

"But—"

"Stand down, son."

The blonde shoots a final glare at Clouse before reluctantly obeying his father. The sorcerer chuckles, looking smug as he beckons for the others to follow him. The Elemental Masters move as a group through the palace, the Ninja trailing nervously at the very back.

"Aw." Melody glances over her shoulder at them with a frown. "I can't imagine what they're feeling, having to fight the one they love..."

"I can," Lemon responds sadly. "It's not fun."

"Eh, that whole star-crossed lover act of theirs was getting annoying," Apollo grunts. "Personally, I'm glad I won't have to deal with any more of that sap after today."

"You know, you could try to have a little sympathy." Lemon scowls. "One of them has to lose."

"Yeah, and I'm counting on it. Have you forgotten this is a Tournament? The sooner one of them is out, the better for us."

Lemon huffs and shakes her head. Melody says nothing, still frowning. Still, there's a truth to Apollo's words neither one of them is willing to admit.

The group emerges outside and arrives at the Royal Gardens. Lloyd and Kira's stomachs both drop. Before them looms an enormous maze forged from rock; the thing looks endless, and the walls extend toward the sky, seeming to be miles high.

"Don't worry," Kai whispers, noticing his friends' discomfort. "We got your back."

Chen waits for them, seated high up in a booth that overlooks the maze. Garmadon murmurs good luck to his pupils before he and Clouse move to join him. "Hello, fighters!" the old master calls via megaphone. "Welcome to my favorite event: Maze Runners!"

Razhai perks up. "Hey, I've heard of that. Isn't it a book—"

"No! I made it up! Fully original!" snaps the old man. "The rules are simple. Hidden in the center of this maze is the Jadeblade. The fighter who finds it first wins!"

"What about the rest of us?" Apollo asks, crossing their arms. "Are we supposed to just stand here?"

Chen grins. "You get to help anyone you wish through the maze...or hurt them, for that matter. You're free to choose sides, I'm not a dictator!"

Kira's hands start to shake, and Lloyd swallows. Everyone else takes a moment to consider where their allegiances lie. Lemon and Melody pad over to Kira, looking sympathetic. Rain grits her teeth, conflicted, before finally moving to stand by Lloyd. Razhai follows her. Kai and Jay exchange glances, deciding to split up; Jay goes with Kira wile Kai goes with Lloyd. Apollo hesitates, scowling, before joining the midnight ninja.

"I'm only helping you 'cause I want him gone," they clarify, gesturing toward Lloyd. Kira's eyes narrow and she opens her mouth to object, but Chen's shouting again before she can say a word.