09 | maze runners

Start from the beginning

"Team One," he says, pointing to Lloyd's team, "your starting point will be at the other entrance, at the other end of the maze. Team Two, you will start here." He claps his hands. "Hurry up and get set!"

Lloyd and Kira exchange glances, but there's no time to talk as both teams take their places at their respective entrances.

"Lloyd Garmadon, Master of Energy, versus Kira Desarin, Master of Crystal!"

"On your mark..."

"Get set..."

"GO!"

The fighters charge into the maze, and the race begins.

Chen giggles, gleefully clapping his hands. "Maze Runner never fails to deliver. Did you know I hold the record with a hundred points?" he asks Garmadon. "Clouse can attest! Tell him, Clouse!"

"True story," Clouse repeats, deadpan.

"True story," Garmadon mutters. "Just like all of his far-fetched endeavors."

"There was once a time when you were quite comfortable with lying." Clouse leans in uncomfortably close. "It worked on Misako, didn't it?"

The old Sensei flinches as dark memories flood his brain. He growls and turns his back to Clouse, causing the other man to smirk.

Below them, Team Two rushes through the maze. They swerve around a bend, only to stumble upon nothing. "Ugh, dead end!" Melody huffs. "Hurry, go back!"

They scramble backward and head the opposite direction, through a section with statues lining each side. As they pass through, the statue's eyes start to glow. Lemon gasps as one fires a sizzling red laser, which narrowly misses her head.

"Statues with LASERS?!" Jay screams. "CHEN, YOU ARE ONE SICK MAN!"

Everyone shouts as they're bombarded by a flurry of lasers, leaping, ducking, and twisting to avoid them. Kira yelps as one grazes her shoulder, searing hot pain inflaming her arm. She stumbles, but Jay catches her before she can fall and keeps running. Apollo opens a portal beneath them, instantly teleporting the entire group past the statues and into a clear zone.

"Whoa." Melody blinks up at them. "Um...quick thinking. Thanks."

Apollo might've smiled, but it fades quickly. "C'mon. We need to move." Eveyone takes off, Kira wincing at her injured arm.

On the other end of the maze, Team One runs as fast as they can through the twists and turns. They reach a narrow passage, the walls lined with razor-sharp spikes; as they rush through it, the spikes fly at them. The group runs faster, ducking and dodging in a risky game of survival. Lloyd trips over his own feet in his rush, shrieking as a spike sails toward his head. Razhai snatches him up just in time, her strong arms carrying him as the group keeps going. The moment they reach a clear zone, they double over to catch their breath, panting and sweating. Lloyd utters thanks to Razhai, who nods to him.

"That was too close," wheezes Kai.

Rain takes a whiff of the air. "I can smell the others," she reports. "They're close. This way!"

She takes off, the others at her heels. They keep running until they round a corner and practically crash into Team Two. Everyone locks eyes with one another.

Apollo proceeds to lunge at Lloyd without hesitation, hands blazing with purple energy. Rain growls and starts after them, but Jay hits her with a shock wave that sends electricity rippling through her fur. The blue ninja whimpers as she snarls and turns her gaze on him, then screams as she attacks. Kai dodges as Melody sends a sound wave in his direction, while Lemon and Razhai clash in a flurry of fists, feet, and shouts.