Chapter 18 - Nothing but a Hunch

The Moonlit sky glared into the room where Tanjirou was staying, the man's earrings and haori flowing peacefully in the cold breeze that entered the room from the sole window. The man himself, Tanjiro had conjured the will to sit up on the bed, that he had been laying due to his immense exhaustion. Tanjirou had sweat covering his face and his body in general, his hands unstable and shaky, his posture slumped and weak.

His head turned immediately to the window as he heard something perk upon the window seal. His gaze found a black crow that was also looking at him, although in slight confusion. "So what was that you know, the speed... The flames..." the crow spoke, making Tanjirou sigh a little in fatigue.

"The Breath of the Sun, Third form. A defensive form that, once used, grants the user a burst of speed creating an afterimage of the wielder. As for the flames... It's a side effect of, specifically, me using the breath. Its potency in destroying demons seemed to carry over to the user if they are a demon." Tanjirou said emotionlessly, causing Haruto to flinch a little, as the crow's eyes softened a little in sympathy, as he had been informed about Tanjirou, although to not the extent he would've been comfortable with.

"I see... So is that why you took the girl in as an apprentice?" The crow asked, causing Tanjirou to shake his head. As he then looked to the wooden floor of the room.

"I choose her because she is someone I feel I can entrust this power to. Someone who'll use it for the right reasons and someone whom I can empathise with. Someone like myself, in ways I care not to admit." Tanjirou said chuckling to himself, as the crow just simply observed the man. "Enough about that." Tanjirou suddenly said as the crow locked his eyes toward the Kamado. "I need a little favour, can I get a scroll and something to write with please?" Tanjirou said whilst looking up towards the crow.

"Sure I can ask someone to go get those things for you, although I wouldn't pass people to inquire about the reason for you wanting those things," Haruto spoke calmly as he nodded as he then turned around preparing to fly off.

"Thank you, Haruto," Tanjirou spoke before he took off as the crow sped away from his sight. As Tanjirou lay back on the bed as he placed his hand on his face and breathed a heavy sigh. His eyes squinting a little as he could feel something amiss. Something not quite right or that something was going to happen down in the pit of his stomach. His only thoughts were prayers for hunch to be wrong. For within his mind, he just felt as though he couldn't take any more people, who were close to him, dying in front of him. He was extremely lucky with Yui and Shinobu arriving on time but that was a one-off chance.

If something like that were to happen he would probably break.

And that was something that would never let happen. Not just for his sake but for the people he could affect. If he broke he didn't know if could control his demonic urges and he would be damned if he indulged in those disgusting desires.

These thoughts swirled around like a vortex around the young man's brain as he, in an attempt to free himself from these thoughts, got up, albeit shakily, and closed the window along with the curtains. As he has done this he was gripping on the window seal intently, with his arm shaking weakly as he felt as though all of his strength had been stripped away from him. He then, slowly, sat back on the bed as he crossed his legs as tried to clear his mind.

His back was straight. His arms are on his knees. His hand is open and free. His eyes closed. His head upright. All of his body become like a statue, with his breathing being the only thing that he could hear. His chest inflated and deflated sequentially and calmly.

He felt as though the maelstrom within his mind was calming, ever so slowly. The storm regressed to the point of being a small gust of wind amongst an endless sea enlightened by a bright blue sky. The sun shone proudly at the ocean. Tanjirou felt as though all the problems in his life just vanished. He felt free. His thoughts were clear and coherent. He was mentally hopeful and peaceful.