ANIMALS

10 Ways You Can Help End Dog Fighting

Much like factory farming, dog fighting is an abuse that goes on behind closed doors and that people from various backgrounds may participate in it.
As Matthew Bershadker, president and CEO of the ASPCA, writes, "Lawyers, judges, teachers, high school football coaches and veterinary technicians have all been arrested in connection to dog fighting. People involved in dog fighting also span racial and socioeconomic boundaries."

This diverse participation highlights the fact that dog fights are not isolated incidents – they are often planned events which people consciously involve themselves in. What's more, dog fighting is a criminal activity and is marked by cruelty from start to finish.
Dogs, mostly pit bull-type canines, are subjected to drug use, beatings, neglect, and even starvation to be trained into becoming aggressive fighters. Once these dogs enter the fighting pit, they suffer terrible injuries including stripped skin, deep gashes, and broken bones. If a dog does not perform well or loses, trainers have been known to kill their previously "prized" dogs by hanging, drowning, shooting or electrocution.
In addition to animal abuse, other crimes surround the dog fighting world including theft, drug use or possession, illegal weapons, illegal gambling, and even homicide, in some cases, according to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
Dog fighting is a serious crime and, without the help of caring citizens, it cannot be stopped. Learn how you can take action to end cruel dog fights by following one (or all) of the 10 steps below.m

1. Familiarize Yourself with the Issue
There are three types of dog fighting operations: street fighting, hobbyist fighting, and professional fighting.
Street fighting is rather informal and can occur just about anywhere – in a back alley or even on a playground. As the ASPCA reports, these spur-of-the-moment fights are most often "associated with gang activities" and can be "triggered by insults, turf invasion, or the simple taunt, 'My dog can kill yours.'"
Hobbyist fighting is a more organized operation with planned fights occurring a few times a year with the aim of "entertainment" and earning additional income. These fighters may travel across state lines to participate in events.
Professional fighting is the most organized of the three types of dog fighting operations and is the type that football player Michael Vick engaged in. At this level, fighters "have a large number of dogs (as many as 50 or more) and earn money from breeding, selling and fighting dogs at a central location or on the road," according to the ASPCA.
Since there are a wide variety of issues associated with dog fighting, it is best to read literature from different sources to understand its depth and breadth. To learn more about this crime, visit any of the following organizations online for additional information:

2. Identify the Signs
Since dog fighting is considered an "underground" activity, it can be very difficult to pinpoint when it occurs. However, there are signs which can help you tip off local authorities to potential fighting operations.
According to the HSUS, these signs may include:

- Pit bulls on heavy chains
- Scarred dogs, especially pit bulls
- Treadmills
- Fighting pit, often with "scratch lines"
- Vitamins, drugs and vet supplies
- Breaking sticks
- Jenny mill or cat mill
- Dog fighting publications
- Springpole

3. Report Dog Fighting
If you witness a dog fight, the first thing you should do is call 911, since dog fighting is a felony crime in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Provide as much information as you can to the 911 dispatcher including the date and time, a description of the activities and those involved (both people and animals), and the location of the fight. Photographic and video evidence can also play an important role in prosecuting abusers, but never put yourself in harm's way or become a spectator.