Chapter Thirty-Six | Theatre

Start from the beginning

Before Vivienne could reply, Lady Torrington answered for her, "That's an excellent idea Captain Gronow. In fact, I do hear that there is a special showing of some play in Covent Gardens tonight."

Vivienne's face lit up. Despite everything, she had been wanting to go to the theatre forever. At this point, the season was dwindling down, and she did not care who she went with. She wanted to see the big stage and the splendor around it. She had heard snippets of information from the other ladies in the ballrooms which only heightened her curiosity about the place.

The parlour room burst open, and the duke froze, his gaze swinging between all the occupants of the room. Vivienne's heart traitorously leapt. She had not seen James the last several weeks as they both seemed to have a mutual agreement of avoiding one another. She had caught a glimpse of him briefly in Bond Street where he had been escorting a young lady around in the shops. When she had seen him, the crack in her heart had grown larger but she knew very well that she had no claim over him—he had made that much, very clear.

She took a closer look at him now, trying to memorize his features as if it would be the last time she would see him. His brown hair was unkept and Vivienne noticed the dark circles around his eyes—he looked weary and tired. Something was bothering him.

"Excuse me, I didn't realize that this parlour was in use."

Captain Gronow stood up, "Ah no worries Your Grace. I was just paying Lady Vivienne and your great-aunt a visit."

"Captain Gronow was planning on taking Lady Vivienne to Covent Gardens tonight." Lady Torrington explain to her great-nephew in a matter-of-fact tone.

Vivienne watched as Captain Gronow's skin deepened a shade and he stammered out the words. "I-I would love to do that, but I don't have a box you see," he gave Vivienne an apologetic smile and her heart fell.

One of her greatest desires upon arriving in London had been to visit the Royal Opera house and see a play. She had read a couple of them from the library but to see the costumes and theatrics would have been spectacular. Alas, it was not meant to be.

"That's alright Captain," Vivienne said as she gave him an encouraging smile. She didn't want him to feel worse than he already did. She knew the Captain was not as rich as some others in London might be, but he had been kind and very considerate to her—which was more than she could say for others.

Lady Torrington paused her knitting, "Well, I have the perfect solution for that. James dear, would you be so kind and let them borrow your box for the evening?"

"Oh no, I would never ask His Grace to do such a thing," Captain Gronow said immediately.

Lady Torrington's lips lifted upwards slightly, "It's not you whose asking dear, but me."

Vivienne felt James' brandy-coloured eyes look at her, and their gaze met for the first time in weeks. A heartbeat passed and neither of them looked away. Vivienne did not know what James saw in her eyes, but seconds later, he gave a short nod. "I will make my box available to you both this evening."

Captain Gronow returned his nod, "I am most thankful Your Grace. But I must insist that you join us as well. After all, it is your box."

Vivienne froze, this was the last thing she wanted. Having James close to her while trying to forget about him entirely was going to be difficult. The duke seemed to be pondering his response and just when Vivienne thought he was going to refuse he nodded, "It has been quite a while since I visited the theatre. Perhaps I will join you both."

Vivienne smiled politely even as inside she was screaming with annoyance, "That is quite wonderful to hear."

***