Chapter 3 - City of the Dead

Start from the beginning

"What does that mean?" Cortana pounders to herself.

"Well we're not going to get anything else here. Let's go check on two of them." Chief walks down the stairs to see the two high school students sleeping. "Makes sense. They must be exhausted after everything they've been through today."

"Do you think their friends made it?" Cortana asks.

"After everything they've gone through, I'd be surprised if they didn't make it."

"Well if they did make it, they'll be at the bridge. From what I saw the checkpoint there is taking their time making sure no infected people get across."

"Then let's hope they'll be able to maintain the checkpoint."

"True, if it attracts too many of them, it will be over run quicker than they'll be able to control."

"That won't happen as long as we get there soon."

Hours pass, and it's now 7AM. Takashi wakes up and scans his surroundings. For a second he forgets what happened the previous day before having all the horrifying memories re-enter his head. He gets up and starts to scan the room. He sees Rei still sleeping on the recliner on the opposite end of the room. One thing he doesn't notice is the armoured man. He gets up and searches the house for the missing soldier. After scanning the whole house, the soldier is nowhere to be found.

"I knew he couldn't be trusted," Takashi says with an angered voice. He rushes to wake up Rei. "Rei, Rei wake up!" Takashi says while shaking the sleeping woman.

"Takashi what is it?" Rei says being jolted back to reality.

"He's gone. He got up and left us. I told you he couldn't be trusted."

"You're kidding, right." Rei says.

"NO! We need to leave before any of those things find out we're here." Takashi and Rei quickly get ready to leave for the bridge and start to head out the door.

1 hour earlier

Chief gets ready to head out to look for supplies and clear a path for later after realising that even though he can handle that journey without much effort, the two people with him will have a bit more of a challenge without and precautions. Before leaving Chief is about to wake the two teens up to inform them of what he's doing.

"Wait Chief, they seem to have been through a lot, so let them rest. We should be back before they realise," Cortana comments. Chief heads out the door.

1 hour later

"That should be good for now," Cortana says, "We should head back now, chances are they're going to wake up soon." Chief starts to head back after clearing a 5 mile stretch of road, as well as filling 2 duffle bags found inside the house with scavenged supplies from the nearby buildings. He starts to sprint back covering the 5 mile distance in no time. He arrives just in time to see Takashi and Rei leave the house. As they notice him Chief raises the duffle bags up and tosses them at the two teens' feet.

"Supplies for the day. We have a lot of walking to do." Takashi and Rei pick up the bags and follow Chief as he shrugs for them to move and starts to walk off. "So, if we keep a steady pace and don't run into much set back, we can reach the bridge at 4. If we end up getting stopped a few times, then 6 at the latest." Rei runs up to Chief.

"How long did it take you to gather these supplies?" Rei asks.

"About 1 hour, I also cleared a five mile stretch of road as well, so we shouldn't have to worry about any contact with infected individuals for a while." Takashi, who has already started drinking a bottle of water, coughs at the statement.