candles

"Get up." A low irksome voice pulled me out of my rest as I rubbed my eyes and stood up. Although my vision was cloudy at first I could see one thing; In front of me, was Nobunaga. "You're staying here until the boss gets back. And for now, you're coming with me."

The rest of the troupe was flooding out of the entrance while Nobunaga brought Killua, Gon, and I, to a locked room somwehre on the fifth floor of the structure. He sat before the hollow door patiently, waiting for Gon and KIllua to make a move. A dark shield bordered him, he was activating en. En is an advanced technique of both Ten and Ren. It envelops the user's body and lets them sense anything inside of the parameter. I could tell Nobunaga was on high alert, expecting the boys to  plan an attack. 

Killua had risen from his spot, and radiating off of him was a murderous blue aura. His eyes were twitching and his feet were planted, frozen in thought and anguish.

"Heh, Scary..." Taunted Nobunaga, who was also rising from his spot on the ground. Drawing his sword, he lunged into a fighting position and bowed his head. "You look like you want to kill me. Let me warn you first, Step into range and i'll cut you down."

"Killua!" Snapped Gon, watching his friend continue towards the sallow skinned man. But Killua didn't answer, instead he continued to approach Nobunaga. Tears and sweat began dripping off the young boys face as he took more strides. But instead of lunging to attack, he turned back around and landed an explosive hit on the wall, causing it to break through and send dust floating in the air. He sunk down on the senile floorboards and stared at his hands.

Both the boys were analyzing the room, trying to find a way out I suppose. But for some reason, I didn't feel compelled to leave. It's not like anything, or anyone, was waiting out in the world for me. I had no reason to escape.

It was now nighttime, and the only source of light was the illumination of the melting candles. Gon and Killua were talking about some guy named Leorio, and I was just staring out the window, up at the velvety star-dispersed night sky.

"Ah, dammit." Groaned Nobunaga. A heavy gust of wind had swept through the non-existent window and doused the flames.

"I got it." I turned around and casually strolled over to the man who suddenly jumped up and pointed his sword towards me.

"Chill-" I raised my hand and focused my nen, a small flame spouted above my hand as everyone turned their attention towards the flame. I lifted it and pushed my hand, guiding it towards the short, black, wick. I did the same to the other two candles before extinguishing my flame and walking back over to the window.

"What the hell?" Nobunaga lowered his sword and was looking at me wide eyed, completely baffled by my ability.

"So you decided to keep the fire idea." Inquired Killua, breaking into a small grin.

"THAT'S SO COOL Y/N- I THINK IT'S AMAZING!" Beamed Gon, his jaw dropping low.

"Hmph." Scoffed Nobunaga. "So I meant to ask before, how do you three know each other?"

"I met Gon and KIllua at Heavens Arena. I needed some help so they brought me to their nen teacher but..." I paused, trying to find the right words for the situation. Was I really inclined to say that their teacher called me a monster and kicked me out?

Killua finished for me, leaning forward as he spoke. "But, our teacher was more of a peaceful kinda dude. He had a completely different mentality than y/n."

"Hmm wait?" Gon was now raising an eyebrow high and looking at me with curious eyes, "If Mr.Wing kicked you out then where'd you learn that?" He pointed at the ignited candles and then faced me, eagerly waiting for a reply.

"I hired a trainer. But she went back to her old business so she said I should come here and get a job."

"Ohhh! So what job did you get?" Asked gon, overly curious.

"I don't even know what it's called. I just put on a black dress and wheel the Items out to the auctioneer. That's 175 million jenny right there, and I don't even have to say a word." 

"WOW THAT'S AWESOME!"

"I suppose. But the real question is, why are you guys here?" Gon looked at Nobunaga and then back at me. "We're just looking to buy a clue that'll help me find my dad. But the issue is it's way more expensive than we can afford. So we tried to capture a spider and retrieve the bounty but I guess that wasn't the best decision." He sighed, slumping his back against the aged wall.

"A spider?"

"You mean you don't know?" Asked Killua dryly.

"I've been saying I don't know for the past three hours."

"Oh. These people are the members of the Phantom Troupe. Other known as the Spiders."

"The Phantom Troupe? I'm still lost. Who are these people?"

"A dirty group of bandits and criminals!" Gon answered.

"Hey, I'm right here." Growled Nobunaga, shaking his head dismissivley. 

"Oh."

"Listen I'm not going to hurt you. Just behave yourselves. I know you guys mean business alright? Don't throw your lives away. Sit tight, and wait until the boss gets back. And if you don't strike his fancy, you get to leave free and clear...." Nobunaga paused and tightened his face. "Try to escape and I'll kill you."

Gon turned to Killua in joy, "Ostomy!"

"Huh?" I asked, but Gon was still facing Killua.

"Cauterization, Autopsy, and the last was Ostomy!"

"What the hell are you two babbering about now?" Sneered Nobunaga.

Killua smiled and the two boys got up and stood on opposite sides of the room.

"Now that we've figured that out!" Killua activated his nen and lunged. "Lets go!"

"Are you serious? You know you're going to die." Nobunaga steadied himself to a lunged stance and grabbed the handle of his sword.

Gon and Killua bolted towards Nobunaga at full speed, amplifying their nen exceedingly but then suddenly turning to break through the cement walls. Nobunaga stiffened his eyebrows before flying out one of the paths.

I was left alone in the dusty, old room, but yet I had no reason to leave. 

I could hear many crashes and thumps rattling through the lower levels, and the amount of nen flowing through the air was prevalent. I still remained in the room, waiting for the chaos to be resolved.

"Y/n!" I heard a voice shout my name from outside and I quickly scrambled to the window. Gon was standing with his hands cupped over his mouth, almost hidden in the cloaked night. "C'mon, run!"

I didn't know what to say at that moment. I wasn't necessarily ashamed, but to tell a young boy that looked up to me that I was giving up the opportunity to escape was, in a couple ways, unavailing and discouraging.

"...Y/n?" I turned away from the window and soon heard the quiet scuffling of his boots run away from the property, disappearing from my gaze.

Not long after that, Nobunaga came rubbing up the stairs and halted in the doorway as he saw me sitting unbothered on the windowsill.

"Why-" He paused to catch his breath and took a stride towards me. "Why'd you stay. You could have escaped." Anger was rolling off of him, but why was he angry that I stayed? He threatened to kill me if I didn't. Nothing was adding up.

I bit my tongue and looked back up at the narrow-faced man, "I want to join the Phantom Troupe."