When Time didn't Stand Still

"Pass me the rosemary ointment, Hana."

There was a young boy that had fallen out of a tree, while playing in the late evening. And I, a young nurse, was tending to his wounds with the help of some assistants.

"You had quite the fall there, little one. You broke your arm and scraped up your face. You are going to need to be careful with this cast." I said to him.

He simply nodded, still slightly teary eyed.

"Alright Jomei, you are all fixed up! Be very careful climbing those trees next time, okay?" I said to the little boy as I tapped his nose softly. He giggled, which brought me some relief.

"Oh, (Y/N)! Thank you so much for helping my little boy!" A young women said, running into the room where all of us three girls were cleaning up our tools. I quickly shot up.

"Mrs. Adachi, of course! This is what we do!" I said to her with a smile.

"Please, let me send you girls home with some dinner and payment, it's the least I can do."

I always feel bad taking money from families, but money is tight at home, and I want my little brothers and sisters to go to school, and get an education, instead of having to work at such a young age.

"You three be safe out there in the dark! Have a good night!" Mrs. Adachi yelled out as Hana, Maemi, and I walked towards the center of our village, where we would soon split off to go back to our own homes.

"Glad tonight was an easy one." Maemi stated as she yawned. Her and Hana continued on their conversation as I sensed something. I felt a pair of eyes on me, yet it felt like nothing I had ever felt before. It was as if my bones had turned to ice. I stopped and looked around, trying to get my eyes to focus in the dark.  While the village was slightly lit, I felt it coming from the woods, which was pitch dark. My vision wasn't perfect, so I had to squint.

"What is it, (Y/N)?" Hana asked as they both stopped steps in front of me.

"N-nothing." I stuttered, not wanting to scare them.

"Let's hurry back!" Maemi began "You know my mom is always talking nonsense about demons." Hana and Maemi laughed as I was still lost in fear. As we approached Hana's house, she waved goodbye and made her way inside.

My house was next and Maemi lived 2 houses down. She gave me a hug.

"See you tomorrow!" She said as she walked over to her house and went inside.

I stood outside of the doorway, scanning the street before me, no longer feeling the presence I felt moments ago so I shrugged it off.

I just need to get some sleep...

I walked into the house, to find my mother nursing my new baby brother, and my father at his desk. He looked to be studying from a book.

"How was the Adachi boy?" Mother asked me.

"He will be good as new in a couple of weeks; he had a broken arm." I explained to her.

"Poor thing." she muttered under her breath.

I walked over to my father, who greeted me with a smile. I handed him the money that I had just earned from my job. I always gave what I earned to him, with mother still nursing, she couldn't work just yet, so we were poorer than normal.

"Oh sweetie, you are such a hard worker." He said as he stood up, taking me into an embrace. "Thank you for all your help."

As he pulled away, he looked at the money, counting it. "Here," he started as he began to fold up half of it and handed it to me "why don't you keep this for yourself, and buy yourself something you like? The festivals are coming up soon, and you deserve it."

I didn't mind giving everything I earned to them. They loved me unconditionally, and raised me to be hardworking and smart. If it weren't for father teaching me all about the human body and how to heal it, I wouldn't be helping anyone at all.

"A-are you sure?" I asked surprised.

"Yes, sweetie, take it!" He forced the money softly into my hands and ruffled up my hair.

Mother looked tired and father looked busy, so when she was done nursing I walked over, and took the baby from her. "Go have a break mom, I'll put baby Kaito to sleep." she looked at me with warm expression. "Thank you so much." She gave me a kiss on the cheek and went about her business.

I burped baby Kaito and slowly rocked him to sleep, making myself quite tired in the process. Slowly I got up, and took him to his crib to sleep.

I went and checked on my other siblings, which were all sleeping peacefully.

I was the oldest at age 20. I had a little brother who was 11, Daichi; Twin sisters, Keina and Kirika who were 8, and the baby, Kaito.

My little siblings gave my life meaning. They were everything to me and I wanted to watch them grow big and healthy. I wanted to give them the world.

Keina had woken up and seen me in the doorway. "Sister!!" she yelled out which made Daichi stir in his sleep. "Shhhhh!" I quietly motioned and tiptoed over to her to give her a kiss on the forehead. It made her so happy.

I sat at the top of her futon, and softly caressed her hair out of her face, and watched her drift back into her calm sleep. I then exited the room, to get to sleep myself.

As I rolled over to get comfortable in my futon, I recounted the chilling feeling from earlier.

Was it a demon? NO! Why would I think that demons don't exist, (Y/N).

 I thought to myself.

Calm down, it was nothing.

After clearing my head,  I was able to fall asleep, but little did I know, that would be the last time I'd ever lay my head down in that room.

⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇ ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇ ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇

I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter! It's just an explanation of (Y/N)'s life!

Please vote and comment and tel me what y'all think!

xoxoxox