Chapter 1: Somebody even better.

Start from the beginning

"I miss my Grandpa."

Tobio looked at him with sad eyes and uttered the words so softly, if Ushijima wasn't paying attention to him so closely, he would have definitely missed it.

Kageyama Tobio was a man of few words and that's why when he said them, they certainly carried huge weight. Ushijima thought the man sitting beside him was almost perfect, always so calm and composed with the sincerity of hard work and each step taken that had brought him a great future. And the very man was looking so vulnerable right now that Wakatoshi almost hugged him. Almost. But he didn't know how the setter would react to such a gesture because neither of them was too touchy feely.

What hurt you Tobio? Who hurt you?

Instead, he paid the tab and pulled Tobio off his stool gently but firmly and carried the half-conscious man out of the bar holding on to his waist. Tobio leaning into his touch and letting him carry, it was frightening how much trust he was putting in him. He was trying to walk quite unsteadily on his feet but managed fine with Ushijima supporting him. Wakatoshi was glad that he came to the bar with Tobio. He certainly didn't want to leave this vulnerable boy alone because of the way he was behaving now.

"Where are we going, Toshi Senpai?" Tobio mumbled, voice muffled as he peeked from where he was leaning at Ushijima's shoulder.

"Back to the village, Tobio." "You really need to rest." Ushijima replied gently.

"Where everyone is?" Tobio asked.

"Yes, the entire team is there, why?" Curiosity got the best of Ushijima.

"Then I don't wanna go there." Tobio put almost all his weight on Ushijima' side and if he was any less sturdy, they sure would have fallen.

"Don't wanna.... Don't wanna... Please."

Ushijima steadied both of them and simply nodded. He decided it was best to take a walk for now till Tobio sobered up a bit. For some reason Tobio was running away from the team. The very team his boyfriend was also part of. Speaking of which, where was he? He hadn't seen Atsumu anywhere when he chased after Tobio. He wondered why he was not with Tobio? Generally, the man was all over him, hugging and kissing him at every chance he got, perhaps, the only person Tobio allowed to touch him so much, not without a pout though.

Ushijima knew of their relationship of many years. Apparently, both the setters from their team had met at All Japan Intensive Youth Training Camp and had been pretty much inseparable ever since. Rivals or not, it was clear they loved each other very much.

It was surprising to see Tobio without the Blond joined at his hip. Another piece of information Ushijima put at the back of his mind to process for later. Maybe they had a fight and that's why Tobio was upset. But it was the first time he was seeing him avoiding going back to where Atsumu was. Tobio was really upset and thus the drinking.

Ushijima was sure though they would come around, it wasn't like he was paying close attention or even was with them all the time, but it was impossible to ignore Atsumu and his shenanigans, especially when he fawned all over Tobio. Or he hoped. Because he was going to have some serious talk with Atsumu if he really hurt Tobio.

You know Tobio... If you get really good... I promise you... Somebody who is even better will come and find you.

Tobio wished to go back to those simpler times, when he blindly believed the words spoken to him by his grandpa. He was sure he looked at him with sparkle in his eyes and started working even harder after that. He truly believed in what his grandpa said. How could he not when everything he knew in his life was because of him. When he lost his Grandpa, he held on to that belief even when times got tougher.