Both sensed his arrival.

"Anakin, it is what I feared!" Palpatine whimpered, pouncing on the opportunity as he played himself as a weak, powerless old man. "The Jedi are taking over!"

"Skywalker, don't listen to him! He's too dangerous to be kept alive!" Mace shouted back, amethyst blade quivering under the sheer strength of the Sith Lightning.

Anakin's thoughts launched themselves once more into a heated debate, running thousands of miles per second as his previous state of mental conflict clashed violently within him. The Chancellor didn't really care for him; he was simply a tool in Palpatine's lust for power. It was a hard slap to his already bruised face. On the other hand, the promise of being able to save his Angel from certain death was too great to avoid.

"He must live! He will stand trial before the Senate for his crimes." Anakin yelled back.

"He is a Sith Lord! The Senate has undoubtedly already been brainwashed by his manipulation and he needs to die!" Mace roared. He trudged forward, fully intent on killing Palpatine. As the Jedi Master was about to deliver the killing blow, another blade joined the fray. A luminescent blue enveloped the Chancellor's office, accompanied by a low hum as Anakin screamed, "NO!"

"Anakin, stop!"

Skywalker's eyes widened in shock. Windu and Palpatine's eyes shot sparks at one another before turning their heads to the source of the sound.

Ahsoka Tano stood in the doorway, deep cerulean eyes glittering with shock. "What were you thinking?"

"I- I-" Anakin probed his mind for a logical explanation – any logical explanation. He could not find one.

"It doesn't longer matter," she answered, striding towards him. The Togruta was well aware of the marriage between her old master and Senator Amidala. She knew that Anakin saw the Chancellor as a father figure and often confided in him.

Palpatine was a clever man, she knew. Whichever dark deed Anakin had almost committed was the result of his now distorted view of the Jedi Order, daunting dreams of Padmé dying in childbirth and other seeds of the dark side sowed in him. Ahsoka knew that each death of those he loved pushed him further down the road of no return. Qui-Gon. His mother. He would do anything to keep Padmé safe, even if it meant turning the Dark Side for unreliable advice. It all made sense. This was Sidious's ingenious plan all along; to deem Anakin as his new Sith apprentice. Every time Palpatine gave the Chosen One advice, he was half a step closer to succeeding.

"Close your eyes, Anakin," she urged, placing a hand over them to stop him from seeing the triggering sight before them. His mind was in a state of hysteria; disheveled thoughts pounding through his head. "Breathe." 

Anakin's grip on his lightsaber loosened before it fell to the ground, a reverberating clatter echoing through the office. Skywalker felt his sister send gentle waves of tranquility through their Force bond.

"That's it," Ahsoka encouraged, "you're doing great." Then, she sent Mace a nod look over Anakin's head. "Do it," she seemed to say. With a newfound spark of hope, Windu pushed on.

With her help, Anakin blurred out his violent surroundings. He focused on all of his deepest memories with those he loved.

Meeting Qui-Gon.
Meeting Padmé.
Winning the Podrace.
Leaving Tatooine.
Becoming Obi-Wan's apprentice.
He and his Angel's first kiss.
Marriage proposal.
Becoming a fully-fledged Jedi Knight.
Meeting Ahsoka.
Becoming her best friend.
The Order's betrayal.
Her departure.
Padmé's pregnancy announcement.