Chapter 3

Metal walked out of the fast-food place he had chosen after finishing his food and walked on the sidewalk leading him out of the city. The whole time he was there, Metal did earn a few curious glances from some people, but they didn't get nosy enough to ask who he was and why he looks like Sonic. Metal assumed that they figured he wouldn't answer them, but was still grateful that they all left him alone. I hope Sonic won't start getting any suspicions later and decide to bombard me with questions. Metal thought. A strange beeping sound could be heard suddenly and Metal glanced down at his left wrist, seeing a blue spot on his inhibitor ring blinking and pressed his right index finger on it, a static sound being heard for a couple of seconds before it went silent. Metal sped at the city's borders and halted by the tree line, hearing Eggman grumbling to himself.

"Metal? Can you hear me?" Eggman's voice asked.

"Now I can, everything was in static at first." Metal replied.

"Good," Eggman said.

"Any reason why you called?" Metal asked him curiously.

"My distance sensors detected movement from that rodent Sonic passing by, I need you to go investigate and make sure he doesn't discover the base in case he decides to break into it," Eggman replied.

You've got to be kidding me! Metal held back the urge to shout those words out loud, but held his tongue and sighed quietly.

"Alright, I'm on my way." Metal said before he hanged up the call. "That rodent better not patronize me as he did to Shadow," he grumbled to himself before taking off, jumping from tree to tree as he did earlier when Sonic and Shadow were arguing.

Metal jumped and jumped on the trees before stopping on top of a branch, crouching down low to see Sonic now by himself, the heroic speedster glancing around like he was deciding on where to go or making sure Shadow wasn't around. He must've gotten away from Shadow. Metal thought.

"There's not many people who can stalk me without me noticing," Sonic said without looking at Metal.

Reluctantly, Metal jumped down from the tree and Sonic turned in his direction, smiling a little almost as if he was somewhat glad that Metal wasn't Shadow.

"Where's that emo hedgehog that chased you around?" Metal questioned Sonic.

"I managed to slip by him." Sonic chuckled. "Shadow may be fast, but he ain't very bright." he inquired.

"If you're no longer doing your patrol, what's preventing you from returning to whatever hole you crawled out of?" Metal replied, his right ear flickering in a showing that he was holding back the urge to attack Sonic.

"I like to explore around, the wilderness itself tends to drag me in a lot," Sonic told him. "The name's Sonic by the way." he introduced himself.

Like I don't know who you are. Metal thought sarcastically.

"Well, you're a few paces from entering my turf." Metal stated. "And like any wild animal that lives here, I tend to get very territorial," he said, narrowing his eyes to intimidate Sonic.

"You mean you seriously live here by yourself?" Sonic asked while tilting his head to the side a bit.

"I'm more or less what some call a 'lone wolf' if you must know." Metal lied, even though half of that was true.

"You'd probably get along with Shadow, he's almost the same way, but hangs out with a bat lady and a large robot." Sonic queried. "But why live in the woods?" he questioned Metal.

Bombarding me with questions, as expected.

"Why patronize me about my lifestyle?" Metal questioned, his fighting urges getting stronger.