~~~~~

It was about one hour since Kanna and Kathir reached home. The dinner was ready waiting for them there, as promised by Kathir to Kanna. Kanna had a heartful dinner and had gone to sleep, struggling to even walk to the room. He had relished every dish on the menu without anyone to control him, especially the absence of his father worked to his advantage. Kathir, though had sent Mullai without much effort to stop her, was unable to touch the food. He was staring at the television without actually seeing anything. The sound of the doorbell made him make a happy dance. He definitely knew who was on the other side. Kathir knew Mullai could never tolerate a person like Rajesh for more than a few minutes. He walked towards the door and opened it without much expressing his state of mind. The other side had Mullai with a sulking face. She walked in the house without a single word.

That moment he realised something crucial in his life. He didn't want Mullai on the losing side and to feel guilty for a decision of hers, anytime in his lifetime. He knew exactly why she was coming up with all these meaningless ideas and plans. It was for him and his happiness. He heaved a heavy breath and spoke, "Mulla... na innum saapadala... fresh aayitu vaa... senthu saapadalaam... seekiram vaa Mulla enaku pasikuthu...". She looked at him and he could see her eyes had no emotion. She gave him a penetrating look, which shook him from his core. He stood there rooted as she nodded at him and walked towards her room. The next one hour passed on without much words being shared. They both had dinner together in utter silence. He was looking at her from time to time but she never raised her head from her plate. She then left to her room as soon as she had dinner.

Kathir walked in her room, after setting right the dining table and kitchen, to find Mullai sitting on her bed gazing without any focus, not looking at anything in particular. He sat opposite to her and still she looked numb. Kathir's voice had a tinge of pride when he spoke to her, "Mulla... driver anna ippa thaan call pannanga... naan kooda unnoda face ah paathutu antha loosu unna edho bayangarama tension pannirucho nu bayanthutu irundhen... anga avana pallu odanchu rantham vara alavuku oru arai vittutu inga vandhu selai maari okaanthutu iruka... enna aachu Mulla... athu thaan avana oru velu veluthu kattitu thaana vandhuruka apram enna...". She still sat without movement and it kind of panicked Kathir. He moved a bit closer to her and shook her shoulders, which made her eyes fall on his, "Enna Mulla... enna aachu...".

Mullai: Avan appidi nu therinjukitte ponathu en thappu Kathir... apram avana adichathula perumai pada enna iruku... orutharoda nichayam aana piragum avan kooda dating vandha enna thappana ponnunu nenachu thappa dhaana nadandhupaan... ellam naan senjutu avana adichutu vera vandhuruken...

Kathir: Mullai... please stop putting everything on your head... innimel innoru ponnukitta avan thappa pesuraku munnadi pathu thadava yosipaan... you don't have to feel sorry for certain things you do... athuvum illama nee idha reason illama panniruka maata... aana onnu mattum solren... idhellam panna enaku unna pudikaama poyirum appidi nenachu pannana... athu waste of time... unaku thaan thevai illatha tension... nee nenaikurathu nadakave nadakaathu...

Mullai got up from the bed angrily and walked towards the window hitting it with her hands. Then, she turned to his side, almost shouting.

Mullai: ungaluku enna thaan prechana Kathir... naan solrathu puriyalaya ungaluku... nethu night enna kathi thudichu paathapo romba sandhoshama irundheengala neenga... tharaila ukaanthu en kaiya pudichu rathiri poora... thevaiya Kathir ungaluku idhellam... kaalam poora indha sumai ungaluku edhuku... ungaluku naan sandhosham tharalenaalum paravala... kashtatha koduka koodathunu nenaikuren... naan thaan venaam nu sollitenla... veetla vera ponna paaka sollunga... kalyanam panni happy ah irunga... that's the life you deserve, not me...

Kathir was losing his patience as each word of hers slipped out of her mouth. The moment she mentioned having another girl in his life, he lost it completely. He strode to her at lightning speed and pulled her towards him. She fell on him bashing on his chest and he held her hands tightly, unintentionally hurting it with his force. They both looked into each other's eyes and tears filled her eyes due to the pain.

Kathir: Mulla... stop this bloody drama... nee enna nenachutu iruka nee mattum thaan kashta padurana... na othukuren Kalai akka means the world to you... but she was equally important to me too... nee veli naatla irundha rendu varushathula naanga ellam enna jolly ah suthitu irundhom nu nenachiya... enga yaarukum vali kedaiyaatha enna... she is family for me too... unaku athai mama ku romba periya kashtam thaan aana that doesn't mean we are not suffering... amma appa ellarayum andha incident romba affect pannuchu... yen Kanna va paatha unaku theriyala... avan evalo maarirukaan nu...

We are all sailing on the same boat... athu yen unaku puriya maateenguthu... seri naan enna kalyanam pannikonu ketathu thapputhaan... venuna un kaal la kooda vilundhu manipu kekuren... nee solra maari nee kalyanam pannikuriya illayangrathu un ishtam... athe maari naan enna pannanum nu nee decide pannatha... naan vera orutharoda kandipa kalyanam pannikanum nu solraku unaku urimai kedaiyaathu... indha vishayathula nee ethavathu lusu maari pannana naan manushana iruka maaten... Mulla don't make me show you the other side of mine...

Mullai was weeping, looking down and the only word that escaped through her mouth was, "Kathir... kaiya vidunga... valikuthu...". He let go of it instantly and pushed her away. The fierceness in Kathir's eyes hurt her more than she thought it would. He glared at her for a few seconds and thrashed out of the room, closing the door with a bang behind him. Mullai stood there unmoving for a few minutes. She knew she was going overboard in whatever she was trying to do. She sat with a thud on the bed staring blankly. She was hurting herself and Kathir equally. Maybe, time will heal everything on its own, she thought. But that didn't include them getting married. There was one important reason too for why she was against marriage completely and that was not something which she could disclose easily to anyone, not to even Kathir.

Kathir had been walking to and fro in his room since he returned from Mullai's room. Kanna had fallen asleep on a sofa in that room. Kathir made him lie down properly in it and covered him with a blanket. When he had mentally cooled himself up, he walked out to check on Mullai to find her sitting in the hall with a book in hand. He walked towards her and sat on the nearby chair. She raised her head from the book and looked at him, sensing a movement near her. He looked at her and his voice conveyed nothing but sincerity when he said, "I am sorry Mulla... na appidi harsh ah unkitta nadandhuruka kudathu... ippa athaiye oru request ah kekuren... innimel enakaga edhuvum panrentu unna varuthikaatha... I am very much content with the life I am living... sorry again...". Mullai put down the book and replied to him in a much more clear-minded way than she had ever before, "illa Kathir... naan thaan ungakitta sorry kekanum... naa edha ellarum enaku pannakudathunu nenaikureno adha ungaluku panna try panren... neenga sonna maari you are a very good friend of mine before everything else... antha friendship ah naan elaka virumbala... aana enaku oru promise mattum panni kodunga... suppose if you like a girl and fall in love with her, don't put it off for my sake... enakaaga ungaluku pudicha edhaiyum neenga vittukoduka kudaathu... okay va...".

Kathir looked at her with a smile and nodded at her saying, "appidi ethavathu nadandha papom Mulla... ippa vaa thoonga polaam... Kanna sofa la thoongitaan... na keela mattress pottu paduthukuren... nee bed la thoongu... naan thirumbavum solren you sleep much better when you are around people...", she was about to start her rant of her usual worries, only to get interrupted by Kathir, "inga paaru... odane naan thookathula kathuven Kannan paatha kashta paduvaan nu aarambikaatha... avan ulagame alinjaalum endhirika maataan... apram avan thookathula kathi nee paathathillala inniku paapa... ethaiyum yosikaama vandhu thoongu Mulla... Live your life... summa bayathaala unna moodikaatha... adha vittu velila vaa inga oru alaga vaazhkai nee vaazhrakaaga wait pannitu iruku...".

A genuine smile spread on her face and she looked a hundred times more beautiful in his eyes. Only if he could tell her, he had fallen for her many years ago. His love is none other than she herself. They three slept in one room together after many years and that itself filled her heart with peace. After about two long years, she didn't wake up or even stir the entire night. As much as the silence of the night brought a calmness within them, that silence filled her life too with tranquility. She had to understand that true love will conquer all of an individual's weaknesses. You become whole all by yourself, when you are rightly loved. To make her convinced of the magic, his love would fill both their lives, Kathir had to cross many mountains with utter patience.

To be continued...