~ Chapter - 1 ~

Kathir stood near the glass walls of his office cabin in Pandian Constructions, which was on the 8th floor. His company was one of the top five construction companies in Tamil Nadu. His father had decided to retire three years back and had handed over the responsibilities to his elder son, that is him- Kathirvelan Pandian. His cabin was situated on the topmost floor of their office and was designed to have glass walls, so that he gets a view of the Chennai city. It was done so that the scenic beauty would give him some peace in the midst of every tiring day but it was currently having the opposite effect on him.

While he was swirling in the never ending spiral that he was consumed in for the last two years, his Personal Assistant Ravi came in to inform the visit of his only brother, Kanna. Kanna was 8 years younger to him and was pursuing civil engineering as well as working part-time in their company. Kathir had always told him that he doesn't need permission to enter his cabin but he never takes his words seriously. When finally he entered, he smiled at Kathir but the melancholy in his eyes made Kanna's heart pain.

Kanna came and stood along with Kathir, his favourite person and his inspiration too, looking at the view in front. It was almost time for the sunset and the sky was today painted in pinkish violet. Kanna had come to remind Kathir about the meeting that was scheduled in one hour but he wanted to talk about something else before he spoke about their business. He held Kathir's shoulder, who had his eyes fixed back on the sky soon after his usual welcome smile, "Anna... I think you need to forget about Mullai anni and move on in life... we have a company to run and a family to look after... it was just an engagement...".

Kathir gave him a sarcastic smile and settled in the nearby chair and gestured to Kanna to take his seat too. He poured tea from a flask in two cups, extending one to Kanna and took a sip from his cup and spoke in a gruff voice, "If it is to be so, you need to first stop calling her Mullai anni... Kanna... It's been three years since we got engaged and I love her, irrespective of whether she does or not... appa amma loves her and neeyum thaan... apram why should I call off the wedding...".

Kanna knew he was arguing on a lost battle but still he had to do it now, at least for a help he had agreed to do. Kanna couldn't look in Kathir's eyes because he too was on his brother's side but the situation had made him act like he was against him. Kanna shook his head and continued, "Anna, why don't you understand the wedding you are talking about calling off doesn't even exist in reality... Mullai anni rendu varushama indha kalyanam nadakaathunu sollitu irukaanga athu yen unaku puriya maateenguthu... she is still adamant about it... avungala force panrathula enna artham iruku... pudikalana vida vendiyathu thaana... just think she doesn't deserve you and move on...".

Kathir had seen his father do business since he was five years and had been the head of it for the last three years. He meets lots of people daily and one thing he is capable of was to know what people had in mind within a few minutes of conversation. That had helped him greatly in choosing the right clients and today he saw his brother failing badly in putting up an act. Kathir knew how much Kanna was close to Mullai and her family. He could even guess the reason for this set of words from him and asked him straight on his face, "unga Mullai anni ithellam solla solli unkitta sonnangala... inniku avala paakuraku avunga veetuku poyirunthala nee... ava thaana enna convince panna sonna... athunaala thaana you are speaking for something, you yourself don't agree with...".

Kanna knew he had totally lost his game and looked his beloved brother finally in his eyes, "Unga rendu pethukum indha rendu varushama enna thaan aachu... engagement pannum bothu you both were so happy with each other... neenga appo love pannala nu theriyum but you had an intense liking for one another... two years back after the disappearance of Kalai akka... Mullai anni ya neethaana foreign ku anupcha padika... you both are good friends till now then why she is against marrying you...".